Allergy Community

Discomfort due to fumes and food.

I suffer from discomfort in my throat very frequently (burning or tickling).
When I smell fumes such as chemicals (especially acetone or ammonia) or smoke from cigarettes, the discomfort mainly occurs on the uvula or the tonsils.
When I inhale dust, tickling occurs on the throat.
This discomfort has also caused me to stop eating tomatoe sauce, spicies and pepper because I feel it worsens if I eat them. However, last Sunday I ate salted popcorn and I've had a tickle in my throat as well.
Usually I do not get fever with these discomforts.
To relief my pain, I gargle with either mouthwash or salted lukewarm water and drink honey and it helps.

What do you think is my problem and what can I do to ameliorate it ? Thank you !

Some amount of irrrritation - especially the kind you describe is not uncommon after exposure to the nauseous stimuli you mention.

You could consult an allergy specialist about the food allergies you mention. Try to enlist the foods that cause your symptoms. Get a proper clinical evaluation done and ask him/her what the probable diagnosis is.

Do keep us posted on how you are doing and if you have any doubts.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.