Aa
A
A
A
Close
Allergy Community
10.3k Members
Avatar universal

Exposure to mold

I have been working in a rehabilitation center for over a year now. Over the summer though my allergies (I guess that's what they are since I've never actually had any till I came to work there)  were going insane with sneezing, itchy throat, and running nose.. Then I got married so I was back in my hometown for two weeks and the symptoms instantly vanished. However as soon as I returned to work the symptoms got worse. I had a runny, stuffy, congested nose along with minor chest pains.

These lasted for three weeks even with attempts of using medicines including advil cold and sinus, dimatapp, and claritan d did nothing to help the cold, I guess is what it was, go away. Finally at work they exposed a wall in the bathroom where it was covered in mold. As soon as they exposed it however they put fans on it with an open door. For the last three days I've been exposed to the mold spores and my chest is in constant pain. My throat feels contricted and I don't feel I can get a good amount of air when I breathe inside my work. My head and nose are throbbing. I haven't had a descent nights sleep because I wake up with the chest pains.

Perhaps my problem is that I am allergic to the mold. I might be overreacting and paranoid but it hurts too much it seems to just be a simple allergy thing and I'm also on 1500 mg of Metformin for my PCOS. I had a slight temperature yesterday and a little upset stomach. Today I just feel that constantly my throat is constriced and my sternum hurts along with the area around my sternum.

My questions are is this a normal reaction to mold exposure? Should I seek professional help? Since my work is not likely to fix the mold problem till next week what should I do to keep myself safe and help myself get better? I'm also worried about my residents who also have history of respiratory problems. What should I do for them?

Thanks!
14 Responses
Avatar universal
you need to stay out of the building until a professional remediator has assessed and taken care of the problem. the area needs to be contained to keep spores from spreading to other areas of the building and posing furthur contammination. the mold also needs to be tested to find out what it is. putting the fan on it=bad news becasue now the spores are being distributed further. mold should never be disturbed.

if you dont feel better a few days after being away from work you should probably see a doctor. you could have a fungal infection or some type of pneumonia from the exposure. as for your residents...you cant help them until you are well. i suppose you could call osha or the epa and maybe they would get in there and containthe area until it is fixed.

i am no expert on mold but have suffered from toxic mold exposure for 3 years.

I hope you feel better soon.
you can check out www.moldacrossamerica.com or moldhelp.org for more info if you like

take care
179332 tn?1273250959
RUN out of that place!!  There are many strains of mold - spackybatris (not sure of correct spelling) is deadly and has killed many people!  Even non-deadly forms can ruin your health. Exposing the wall and turning a fan onto it was the WORSE thing your coworkers could have done!  All those in the rehab facility are being affected and most won't know why!  You need to stay out of the building and call the local health dept. or osha!  May sound extreme but, search online about mold cases and how State Farm Insurance almost went out of business from claims... ((texas)) Mold is just being brought to the forefront as a cause of allergies and medical problems.  Exposure to toxic mold can cause a horrific candida albiacins condition as well as a myriad of other medical problems. Pleaase - I am NOT overreacting - if you are THAT affected and they found mold - stay away!
179332 tn?1273250959
you also may need to go as far as to wash and make sure the clothes you wear to work - are cleaned and mold free as the spores can cling to fabrics
Avatar universal
When washing your clothes it may help to use BORAX. it can be bought in the detergent aisle at walmart or target. it will help remove the spores. I have also heard the ammonia is helpful but i cant use it becasue of chemical sensitivity/ good luck.
Avatar universal
what doc is your exposed friend seeing? i have seen docs in arizona and maryland. always looking for a new lead or new info. thanks
179332 tn?1273250959
my coworker was exposed when renovating his home... his wife is chemically sensitive now, he was mold sensitive and because he carried all those lovely spores into work - into my offices, it lowered my resistance and I am having allergic reactions too. we are all on the mend thru a good bio meridian doctor here and a very well known allergist. my coworker had to move, and even get new cars and clothing!  they say the two of them had the mold for quite some time in their home ((and never new it because we have 'white' mold here)) and when they pulled the carpet back to renovate, the wall and carpet on the North side of their home was covered in mold - which had been getting over them for the years...that final exposure made them both SO sick... really sad. We are all just glad it wasn't "toxic" mold - which can settle into your lungs and can kill you. at any age, any health...
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.