Allergy Community

Face Rash

Yesterday on the 8th June, I was out in my garden practically all day. I have never suffererd from hayfever and i dont have any 'known' alleriges. However around 4pm in the afternoon my face came up in a blotchy rash and my eyes started to swell. I took a piriton tablet for alleriges and i had a cold flannel on my face which reduced the redness after an hour. Two hours later the rash and blotches had gone but my eyes were still a bit swallen. This morning i woke up again with the rash and blotches already but around my neck aswell. I again took a piriton tablet and a cold flannel and after a while it went down. During the day the blotches and rash came back again but there was not a lot i could do because i was at work, they did however go down on there own this time in a few hours.

Having never suffered from hayfever and having know known allergies, could you think of what this could be ?

Hi hannah louise,

How are you? Do you have a family history of allergies? Allergy or hypersensitivity is a reaction of your immune system to something that does not bother most other people.. Your gardening may have exposed you to something that triggered your immune system. Before, it is believed that the reason allergies develop is through genetics. However, with more people experiencing allergies, environmental factors are also considered. Substances that often cause reactions are: pollen, dust mites, mold spores, pet dander, food, insect stings or even medicines Allergies can cause a runny nose, sneezing, itching, rashes, and/or swelling, just like what you had. To confirm this, you could visit your doctor for allergy skin test. You can learn more about this through this link:  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/allergy-tests/AA00051

I hope this helps. Take care and keep us posted.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.