Our 16 year old son just passed away in August. As our family suffered with no cause of death, we received our answer today. We were told he died of anaphylaxis reaction to an unknown allergin.
Facts: he was allergic to peanuts and peanut butter. His symptoms over the three times he did have contact with nuts, was to throw up the food, get hives, take Benedryl and relax. Over his short 16 years 9 months, we all learned to read labels and he learned to smell food or turn it down. His blood work was sent in and we were told the "normal" level for tryptase is on average 11.4, and our son's number was over 200. He was out to a fast food restaurant earlier that evening, but had no syptoms or warning of illness - in fact he shot a couple hoops and played a video game with freinds until 10:00 p.m. All we know from there is he went to sleep and never woke up.
This by far is our worst nightmare ever, but I'm seeking some reasoning from the Medical communities to help me understand how I can put a healthy teenager to bed, and never see him again. Please help us by posting any information you can help us make sense of this disaster.