Allergy Community

Fatal Anaphylaxis Reaction

Our 16 year old son just passed away in August.  As our family suffered with no cause of death, we received our answer today.  We were told he died of anaphylaxis reaction to an unknown allergin.
Facts:  he was allergic to peanuts and peanut butter.  His symptoms over the three times he did have contact with nuts, was to throw up the food, get hives, take Benedryl and relax.  Over his short 16 years 9 months, we all learned to read labels and he learned to smell food or turn it down.  His blood work was sent in and we were told the "normal" level for tryptase is on average 11.4, and our son's number was over 200.  He was out to a fast food restaurant earlier that evening, but had no syptoms or warning of illness - in fact he shot a couple hoops and played a video game with freinds until 10:00 p.m.  All we know from there is he went to sleep and never woke up.
This by far is our worst nightmare ever, but I'm seeking some reasoning from the Medical communities to help me understand how I can put a healthy teenager to bed, and never see him again.  Please help us by posting any information you can help us make sense of this disaster.

How are you?

I am so sorry for what has happened.My consolations are with you and your family.

Regarding the peanut allergy,It is a type of food allergy. It is a hypersensitivity to dietary substances from peanuts causing an overreaction of the immune system which may lead to severe physical symptoms. The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America estimates that peanut allergy is the most common cause of food-related death.

Symptoms of peanut allergy are related to the action of Immunoglobulin E (IgE) and other anaphylatoxins, which act to release histamine and other mediator substances from mast cells (degranulation).

Treatment includes complete removal of peanuts(even hidden ingredients) from the diet and in cases of anaphylaxis,i/v steroids and antihistaminics.

You can get more information about peanut allergy from the following website:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peanut_allergy

Hope it helps.Take care and regards.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.