Allergy Community

How to treat an allergic reaction to Bananas?

I've had three or four times an allergic reaction to bananas that resulted me ending up in the ER due to extreme cramps. It feels like my gut is being ripped apart. Yes, I can feel the process begin almost immediately when I eat something with Bananas in it, I know exactly where that food is in my system because it hurts!  Clearly the best choice is to avoid bananas but in the event this happens again I'd like to know what can be done to stop the pain. The ER docs have not had success, its usually, xrays, pain meds then an eventually an enema. Yuck and it hurts... I've been reading on this form that this is an allergic reaction, does that mean if I took a large dose of bendryl or Allegra that the meds would counter act the reaction? What can be done to avoid a  trip to the ER...besides don't eat the banana in the first place?

Thank you!
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.