Avatar universal

Just one nights sleep in my house makes me feel sick


My first post to this board.

I am a 36 year old male who ever since I can remember (at least living in my current house) has had the following symptons upon wake up in the morning

- Sinus blockage
- blocked ears
-itchy, gritty eyes
- neck pain
- puffy head feeling
- tiredness

The symptons can last for hours if not continually throughout the day unless I get outside into the fresh air.

I travel alot on business and have just come back from staying in a hotel where I felt fine. Came back yesterday and this morning after one night in the house, feel terrible like usual.

The odd thing is, my kids don't feel anything but my wife feels all the same apart from itchy eyes.

We have a 2 year old mattress, have just renovated bathrooms near to our bedroom and there was mold but its all ripped out and cleaned now. No other known issues with house. We have popcorn ceilings, which I have been told could have asbestos in but unless they are sanded, its not an issue. There is nothing in the attic, we have it checked. We have airconditioning central with a electronic air filter. The filter is cleaning regularly. We used to have cats, to which i found out i was allergic to. We got rid of them 3 years ago and had a company come into clean all the vents etc

My chiropractor says i have a moderate sublaxation in neck which could cause sinus issues and the neck pain however one night in a hotel with a non-special pillow and i feel absolutely fine. One night back in house I am sick again.

We just cannot think what it is and apart from selling the house i have no idea what to do. I am sat on the couch downstairs from the bedroom typing this and am feeling short of breath and still blocked ears, itchy eyes.

Any ideas on what it could be or what we should try would be greatly appreciated

Read more
Follow - 2
Upvote - 0
1 Answers
Page 1 of 1
1355118 tn?1298568479
Hi, welcome to the forum, your symptoms are suggestive of allergic conjunctivitis with allergic rhinosinusitis. It is predominantly seen in young adults (20-25 yrs of age). This happens as soon one is exposed to allergen. Allergic conjunctivitis related to environmental exposure to year-round, usually indoor, allergens such as dust mites, animal danders, and molds.

You need to get evaluated clinically as well as certain tests will be help to determine the cause, they are
- Conjunctival scrapings - may be evaluated for the presence of eosinophils.
- Mast cell activity can be measured by immunoassay testing of tears

Usual management consists of  
- Basic eye care - you should not rub your eyes.
- Treatment of dry eyes- use of artificial tears throughout the day will dilute the allergen.
- Allergen avoidance- You need to find the allergen and you need to avoid further exposure. Even change of place can help.
-  Allergy evaluation - You need to consult allergy specialist for evaluation of the allergen by skin testing. A history of concomitant rhinitis, asthma, or systemic allergic will be useful to know the allergen.

Take care and regards.
Avatar universal
Post Comment
Your Answer
Avatar universal
Do you know how to answer? Tap here to leave your answer...
Post Answer
Allergy Community Resources