Allergy Community

Lip allergy?

I'm 18 and I've had this problem for more than 5 years. I have to use a certain lip balm because most lip balms when applied to my lips first give me a tingling sensation within approx. an hour and when I wake up the next morning they're swollen, especially the upper lip, and it feels quite uncomfortable to move my lips.

They do not itch and burn only slightly. Many tiny bumps (the same colour as the skin they appear on) emerge on my lips on the second or third day and begin to spread on the skin around my lips, usually above my upper lip. My lips tingle when I touch them. These symptoms last almost a week and in the last days my lips start to peel a little and they begin to feel normal again - as in, I can freely move them without feeling discomfitted.

Years ago, I used Nyal Cold Sore Cream because I thought I had a cold sore. This contains 5mg menthol and 15mg camphor which soothes the discomfort. At the time it worked for months but then later it began to give me these symptoms as well and I had to find another lip balm. I returned to this cream last year and it worked again for me, but, after not using it for a month, it started making my lips tingle again so I stopped.

I don't know if this is an allergy because my lip balms keep changing. Does anyone know what it is? And also anything on how to soothe them, improve healing, prevent, or what to do or not to do during these symptoms.

Thanks!
Thanks for writing to the forum!
You are either suffering from contact dermatitis or from allergy to some food. You must get an allergy test done, either a skin ***** or RAST, to know what you are allergic to.
• Weak acid solutions [lemon juice, vinegar] can be used to counteract the effects of dermatitis contracted by exposure to basic irritants [phenol etc.].
• If blistering develops, cold moist compresses applied for 30 minutes 3 times a day can offer relief.
• Calamine lotion and cool colloidal oatmeal baths may relieve itching.
• Oral antihistamines such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Ben-Allergin) can also relieve itching.
• For mild cases that cover a relatively small area, hydrocortisone cream in nonprescription strength may be sufficient.
• Avoid scratching, as this can cause secondary infections.
Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_dermatitis#Treatment
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage, without examining the lip. Do consult a skin specialist. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.