Allergy Community

Lips swollen, inflamed with small blisters

Hello !

Six months ago my wife started having episodes of Lips that were swollen, inflamed with very small blisters.  In a topical sense both organic Shea butter and cortisone cremes do help.

Current theory is that this is triggered by some sort of food additive allergy or intolerance with the prime candidate being free glutamates such as Monosodium glutamate, Yeast extract or  Hydrolyzed protein (or perhaps dozens of other names on ingredient labels).

Problems in establishing an exact cause and effect are (1) unpredictable lag times between ingestion of the suspect food and (2) her lips during an episode become so very sensitive that most any free glutamates such as those found in low concentrations in natural fruits and vegetables seem to propagate the symptoms.

Any Ideas ?

Thanks so much !
Rock.
Colorado, USA.

Has she seen an allergy specialist for her symptoms? Has food allergy testing been done?

She should avoid foods with MSG and see if that helps.

In case she does have an allergic reaction, she should immediately take antihistamine or antiallergic medications.

Do let us know if you have any doubts and keep us posted about how she is doing.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
can you read mine and see if this sounds familiar???? I would like some answers too???

I have answered your post in the pther thread - but also posting the reply here too.

You should use a moisturising lip balm with sunscreen - preferably a medicated one - ask your dermatologist to prescribe you one.

You also need to drink plenty of water - 1.5 to 2 litres per day and eat a balanced diet and supplement any viamins or minerals for the deficiency in your diet. Take vitamin B complex for some days.

Apply a glycerine based lip cream at night.

Keep the area clean - wash your face with a face wash several times a day and also clean your face after each meal with a wet tissue or wash it with water generously.

If the symptoms still persist, you should get a review from your dermatologist.

Let us know if you have any doubts.

Good luck.
I get the same symptoms as your wife.  After eating something my lips would get very irritated (mostly the top one) and It would turn into little blisters and then they would dry up and start all over again asi I couldn’t find the source.  I noticed a pattern that every time I ate anything that had pepper in it, it would happen.  I have had to eliminate all pepper from my diet (this is not easy as you have to make everything from scratch) and I have yet to have an outbreak.

Also, my doctor prescribed a steroid ointment to apply onmy lips and it really helped after 2 days of use.

Good luck!!!!
I recently started having this same problem.  About 3 times in the past 2 months.  Mostly on my upper lip.  My lip gets swollen and very tiny blisters around the perimeter (but still on my lip).  I have gotten cold sores in the past so I know this is not one.  Has anyone found out what this is and what is causing it?  
I have been struggling with these small blisters recently, and tonight just had the worst outbreak.  Ate chicken with pepper on it and both upper and lower lips felt hot and then little blisters broke out all around my mouth.  So glad to see what you wrote.  Have you less or No outbreaks since eliminating pepper?  thanks, Cheryl
I've been  having the exact same thing.  My lips swell, become kind of dry and they tingle.  They're also bright red with tiny blisters around the perimeter.  I was tested for food allergies, and they said they couldn't find anything.  I haven't had an outbreak in 4 or 5 months, but then this morning it's started again!  The only thing I can think of is that I ate Chinese food last night from a  place I haven't had in months.  Maybe MSG?  Maybe the other asian food I eat more frequently doesn't have MSG?  Mine is so bad today that I've decided to work from home.  If I don't, I have to deal with questions all day long as to why my mouth is so red and puffy!  Has anyone else figured out other triggers?
I am 25 years old and I have the same problem since I was 18.  I have found that eating raw fruits or using any type of lip products brings on the reaction.  It first started with mangos, so I stopped eating that.  Then it was brought on my strawberries and the reaction occurred.  I tried applesauce, canned peaches, canned pineapples...I was so desperate for fruit that I even tried bannana baby food.  All caused the same reaction.  I can have juice in moderation and fruit flavored candy or snacks do not cause a reaction.  I can even have jam or jelly.  So I suggest, if its fruit, learn to be fruit free and find your fruit nutrients from another source such as vitamins or juice.  It ***** not be able to eat raw fruit but you get use to after awhile.  
I went to a dermatologist when this problem first occurred and he prescribed me this insanely expensive medicine which I can't afford anymore so I just keep fruit and lip products out of my life.  Good luck!
I woke up 2 days ago with numbness in the corners of my mouth, I applied lip balm all day and the next day woke up with numbness all the way up to my whole top lip, I continued to apply lip balm. This morning I woke up, I hadn't applied lip balm before bed and my top lip was swollen and has little blisters. I did eat a couple of pieces of mango about 40 hours before the first signs. I thought it was the Chilean red wine I had the night before and the night after the symptoms, but now I'm thinking it was the mango. I ate the skin of the pieces I had and the skin was rubbing on my lip when I ate the fruit inside first. I would like to know what this is so I can avoid it happening again.
I too think mine is MSG! And my son also gets this and he is 9 - we both ate  Chinese Food at the same time and had a bottom lip outbreak...mine was so bad I couldn't go out of the house for a week I was so ashamed and it hurts! My glands under my chin swell some and the nerves down my chin hurt.....this has happen to me like 1 time every 10 years...at least to this magnatude. We always get them off and all all year....I found the term Meniere's Disease that seems to be real close to what I have....search it...
Thanks for posting this. I've been going thru the same thing for months and I just think I pinpointed it to be an allergy to any kind of pepper. I'm going to go pepper-free and see if this will stop the reactions.
I'm in my 40s and started having swollen lips around May 2012 followed by chapped and cracked lips.  All I could do was apply petroleum jelly.  When it got bad I used Hydrocortisone Butarate and that helped.  This went on for 6 months with the only relief being the 3 weeks we were on vacation and camping most of the time (not a lot of fancy cooking).  In Nov 2012, I developed small blisters around the perimeter of my mouth that popped then crusted.  I started a food journal and suspected avocado or garlic.  The blistering happened again one day but I wasn't sure until I ate something that had a lot of garlic and no avocados that day.  Benadryl helps but makes me sleepy.  I try to be careful but have incidents of blistering when I didn't ask about the ingredients.  Concentrated  amounts of garlic or raw garlic causes the blistering but I have a continuous redness around my mouth from some exposure.  I love garlic and am okay with small amounts.  I'm sad that this has happened and hope it will go away some day.  For now, it's the new normal.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.