Allergy Community
10.3k Members
559992 tn?1216173338

My dad has Hives.

Recently on a trip away my dad got this hive like rash that started on the trunk of his body and has now spread down his body. It started after drinking beer. That's what my mum has put it down to, something to do with yeast. I was also sus that it was an allergy to food additive 635. I looked it up myself, because after eating something with this in it I got terrible body aches and couldn't sleep. When I googled it they had pictures of this rash, but it didn't look like mum discribed it. She said that they were like bites or spots with little pustules on them. One of there friends suggested that it could be an allergy to bed bugs, but mum doubted it as they were sleeping in a tent thing that they have on the top of their 4 wheel drive. It's been getting worse, but is ok some days. He's tried anti-histamines and creams, but nothing has helped. He's been to a Dr and he's taken a biopsy of it because he's stumped. Please help as it is making him quite miserable.
1 Responses
Avatar universal

If this is a recent onset complaint - chances are more in favour of an allergic reaction ,insect bite , etc.

But other causes would also need to be ruled out o reach a definite diagnosis. Is he on any medications currently?

It could be eczema, sweat dermatitis, allergic reactions or due to some insect bite.

He needs to wash the areas several times with fresh water. Do not use any cosmetic products at the sites.

Apply calamine lotion at the site of the lesions and see if it helps. He could take some oral antihistamine medications like cetrizine or loratadine. Also, he needs to maintain a good personal hygiene .

Anti-itch drugs, often antihistamine, may reduce the itch during a flare up of eczema, and the reduced scratching in turn reduces damage and irritation to the skin.

For mild-moderate eczema a weak steroid may be used (e.g. hydrocortisone or desonide), whilst more severe cases require a higher-potency steroid (e.g. clobetasol propionate, fluocinonide).

Eczema can be exacerbated by dryness of the skin. Moisturizing is one of the most important self-care treatments for sufferers of eczema. Keeping the affected area moistened can promote skin healing and relief of symptoms.


Let us know if you need any further information.

It would be advisable to consult a skin specialist for his symptoms and a proper clinical examination.

Let us know if you need any other information and post us on how he is doing.

Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.