Allergy Community

Neck swelling

I guess Im just looking for information at this point. I went to the doctor 2 months ago because the left side of my neck was swollen about 2 inches in length (about the size of my finger) doctor did blood test and said I had some type of infection and gave me antibiotics. The size of the swelling never went down. I never had any other symptoms that I noticed and then yesterday my neck felt really weird and then all of a sudden I felt the left side swelling. It kinda felt tingly or like something was crawling under my skin then while at the ER it felt like someone was kinda pushing on my neck (it didn't hurt just felt weird) I ended up going to the Er they did  CT Neck nasophar with IV contrast, CBC with differential and platelet count, chemistry 8 test panel and high sensitive C reactive protein. Everything came back that nothing was wrong. She said the CT scan didn't show any lumps of any sort, she said it didn't even show any swelling which from touch you can easily feel that it's swollen. So they sent me home with nothing and said if it's still swollen next week to call my regular doctor or come back. She did ask about food allergies. Im 29 and have never had any food allergies. Pollen and perfume smells make my sinuses act up and I have known that for years. Anyone with similar experience have it be allergies? Someone told me to ask for allergy testing when I go to the doctor next week. Anyone know any good articles maybe I could read though.

I feel pretty tired slept a lot today and kinda feel like im coming down with a cold or something in the nose/throat, but for the past 2 months I haven't been sick or anything.
Hi!
The simplest way to know whether you have food allergy or not, is keep a food and symptom log. Log in whatever you eat and the swelling as it appears and see if there is a correlation.
The other possibility is that the neck swelling is an exacerbation of the GERD or gastric reflux.  It could also be hiatal hernia. Treatment is a combination of drugs to reduce the acid and lifestyle changes. You will need to take a combination of medications (under medical supervision) like a proton pump inhibitor such as omeprazole, lansoprazole or pantoprazole empty stomach in the morning and an antacid gel after meals or H-2 blocker such as ranitidine for complete relief. Possibility of H pylori infection too should be looked into by a carbon urea breath test and a combination antibiotic tried. Many a times a persisting H pylori infection can be the cause behind acidity not responding to treatment.
Life style changes that will help include: Drink cold milk. Avoid heavy meals and eat frequent small meals. Avoid too much of caffeine, tea, smoking, fried food and drinks both alcoholic and non alcoholic fuzzy ones. Avoid heavy exercises within 4 hours of a heavy meal. Raise the head end of the bed by pillows to 30 degrees. Avoid lying down for least 2 hours after food. Take a late night snack. Maybe these tips will help you. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.