Aa
Aa
A
A
A
Close
529075 tn?1213460050

Pine Sol Allergy, Am I The Only One?

I react to to Pine Sol. My eye lids swell up and my eyes turn bright red. My nose runs like crazy, I'll get a headache and I find it difficult to breathe. Does this happen to anyone else? & Is this considered a serious allergy?
7 Responses
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Avatar universal
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
Hi SaaraBear,

How are you? Do you have a family history of allergies? Allergy or hypersensitivity is a reaction of your immune system to something that does not bother most other people. Before, it is believed that the reason allergies develop is through genetics. However, with more people experiencing allergies, environmental factors are also considered. Substances that often cause reactions are: pollen, dust mites, mold spores, pet dander, food, insect stings or even medicines. Allergies can cause a runny nose, sneezing, itching, rashes, and/or swelling (this may include your airways). Anaphylaxis is generally used to describe a serious and life-threatening allergic reaction. During an anaphylactic reaction, various tissues in your body release histamine and other substances. When you experience difficulty in breathing, it is very important that you see your doctor right away and should be given an epinephrine shot.

I hope this helps. Take care and keep us posted

Helpful - 0
529075 tn?1213460050
I am just fine, coping with a work place that cleans with Pine Sol in the restrooms. I have a family history of allergies. I found out suddenly that I had developed an anaphylactic allergy to strawberries almost a year ago. However the reaction I have to Pine Sol does not feel the same as when I react to strawberries. I don't experience the anxiety/rapid heart beat and the swelling goes down once I take benadryl/ice it. I am allergic to grass, pollen, dust, dander, smoke...typical asthma allergies, bees/wasps/some types of spider bites--not deadly, but I sure do swell up! I've never been bit by a snake, but I've been told i'll probably react to a snake bite worse then most folks too. Why is it that some people react so strongly to a substance and others are not bothered by it?

P.S. I always carry an epi pen & benadryl.

Thanks
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
It is estimated that 1 in every 5 has one form of allergy. Today, researchers believe that in addition to genetics, the environment also plays a critical role in determining who will and who won't develop allergies. Since allergies are strongly associated with the Western lifestyle, researchers have begun to suspect that a multitude of lifestyle factors are involved. There is a strong association, however, between allergies and other environmental factors, such as socioeconomic status, family size, early-childhood infections, and diet.

Allergy begins with sensitization — a period that ranges from a few weeks to several decades, in which repeated exposure to a particular allergen activates the immune system to attempt to fight what is usually an innocuous substance. Because this period of sensitization varies so much, one person can develop a contact allergy during infancy while another may not be sensitized until adulthood. I think your immune system tries to much to mount a defense against what it believes is a hostile invader.

It's good that you carry epi pen and benadryl. I also suggest you have a medical bracelet or card so that the people around will know what to do when an allergy attacks

I hope this helps:)
Helpful - 0
529075 tn?1213460050
Thank you for that information, it really helped me to understand why I have allergies. I live in an environmentally damaged area, have a high socioeconomic status, six person family, countless early childhood infections, was born premature, lived undiagnosed with Celiac Disease for 13 years--had failure to thrive. This makes sense that I would have such a multitude of allergies.

That is an excellent suggestion, I should wear one of those, I'll look into getting one.

Thank you ever so much!

Helpful - 0
1 Comments
I have had a severe allergic reaction to Pine-Sol Lemon Scent. A few days ago I washed my face with a washcloth that had on it ever-so slight traces of the lemon scent. Within an hour my face broke out in red-rash eruptions on my nose and cheeks. Within days, these eruptions grew and became severely ulcerated, turning into very deep lesions at four point, and a bright red rash spread widely across the region.

I called the Clorox Company, and their medical response unit told me they had had no record of similar complaints, and finally said that any rare instances of sensitivity were completely cleared up after just one day of removal from contact with exposure to the product. I foolishly believed them, and not knowing, accidentally reused the same cloth, and the burning and torment lit up again like a hot iron.

It is impossible to wash out any trace of the lemon scent from any exposed cloth. Just this ever-so faint trace of the chemical agents used in the formulation (of the Lemon Scent product) will begin a new episode of epic severity. The lymphatic tissues of the fascia beneath the skin, in my case, caused large nodes to gather, which finally erupted through the epidermis, leaving cratering, blood-filled lesions, which appear to be dark red scabs after five days.  I was not aware that other people had asked about this product's safely, until now. The maker of the Pine-Sol has to be aware of these issues; and they are evidently denying or minimizing the severity and expanse of this so-far undiscovered public health catastrophe--which a recall of this magnitude, with a medical intervention to potentially millions of victims--would naturally entail.

I am most saddened that SaaraBear's 2008 inquiry was dismissed with such certainty, as if her case were an aberration, or isolated peculiar product-induced medical emergency. At this point, a widespread, fact-finding expedition must undertaken to discover just how far into the product history of Pine-Sol Lemon Scent had taken perioral dermatitis, or other as-yet undefined product-specific tissue destruction, or any other systemic medical emergencies.    

Avatar universal
I am wondering why I have such a sensitivity to pine sol every time I go around it I vomit within a 9 hr period after being around it, just wondering what is causing me to react like that want some answers and maybe some where to go to get help with this problem.
from Gloria Sumner
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
I to have the same reaction to pine sol. Swelling trouble breathing just to mention a few.
Helpful - 0
Avatar universal
Yes! Runny nose, watery eyes, trouble breathing, headache and nausea.
Helpful - 0
1 Comments
Show my toddler started to get like allergies about 4 days ago I've used Pine-Sol 30 years.I had used an histamine it didn't work so then I giving her some cold medicine and that the pharmacist recommended. That I called humidifier and some Vicks is just nothing doing nothing or cough is getting a little worse I can tell the difference in mom. Thing is tonight I use pine salt to clean the table and her cough just was persistent it didn't stop is that something that is like a severe reaction
Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Allergy Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.