Allergy Community

Post-nasal drip/ sinus infection

I have severe postnasal drip.  It is constant and keeps me from sleeping well.  I clear my throat a lot during the day and have to spit it out when it gets thick.  
I have tried:  OTC allergy meds, prescription allergy meds, OTC nasal sprays plus a sample spray from my Dr.  
If I take meds to dry it up, I get green nasal mucous and a sinus infection.  If I let it drain it goes into my chest and I get an upper respiratory infection.  I have been treated for two sinus infections and bronchitis in the last 3 months.   The drainage is driving me crazy because it is constant and just won't stop!  And yet, I have continuous pain in my sinuses, especially above and around my eyes.  I have a wonderful Dr. who thought I was infection free at my last visit.  But the drainage is so much worse than it has ever been.  
Any suggestions?
Post-nasal drip (PND) occurs when excessive mucus is produced by the sinuses. The excess mucus accumulates in the throat or back of the nose.Post-nasal drip can be caused by excessive or thick secretions, or impairment in the normal clearance of mucus from the nose and throat.

Various causes for chronic post nasal drip are allergies,viral infections,deviated nasal septum,chronic sinusitis,adenoid enlargement and diseases like sarcoidosis and GERD.

Pls discuss these options with an ENT specialist and get yourself thoroughly examined esp. for sinusitis. Transillumination test and X-Ray or CT sinuses can help in diagnosing it.

Hope it helps.Take care and regards.

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.