Post-nasal drip

I have been having problems with mu sinuses for a year now and its completely affected my life, I am afraid of social situations. I have ear pressure, pain, congestion and worst of all a bad smell which comes from my nose. It's so bad I can barely sit in a rome with people, people hold their nose around me especially when I speak. I had a CT scan it showed I had inferior hypertrophy on the right side of my maxillary sinus, sinusitis, and a mucus retention cyst on the right side.

Finally, I had turbinate cautery to clear the turbinate hypertrophy it has helped I can breathe finally, yet the smell hasn't diminshed at all. My ENT said it was from accumulation of post-nasal drip, which sounds unreasonable. Yet, this smell is really bad. People cough and quickly move away from me, I mean even people 5-6ft away, I feel as if I am contagious. The doctor put me on Astelin, it has dried up the phelgm I usally have but the smell still hasn't lessened. It's only been 3 days but I've been living this nightmare for a year, I'd hate to get my hopes up that I could be cured.

Does anyone know whether this is where the smell originates from? I thought it was my breathe because how could a smell come from your nose yet it has. It's really embarrassing because people are less than nice about it, my dating life has suffered and I've felt all alone on this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
First I want to say that I'm sorry the products didn't work for you.  Don't get me wrong I felt the same way at first, which was the reason I mentioned that you shouldn't take any short-cuts when using these products because you will only waste money.  Initially, I was only using over the counter therabreath products (toothpaste, mouthwash, and throat spray) and they didn't work alone.  I did this for about a month. I didn't give up because I had tried everything else before and this was the last resort.
When I purchased the irrigation system, I saw a difference.  Like you, I was still frustrated because my bad breath didn't immediately leave.  But I read the book that came with the system in and out.  I used the irrigation system 3 times a day for 4 days straight and noticed that I didn't have that foul smell coming from my nose.  I also had less mucus in my throat, but my bad breath wasn't totally gone.  I kept using it and this makes 2 weeks for me and I have fresh breath now.  However, I have noticed that if I don't go through the steps thoroughly it will come back, but not as bad as before.
I have never had the thick coating on my tongue, so I'm sorry, I don't have any recommendations for that.  The nasal drops also made my breath smell worse at first, but I kept using it.  Now it doesn't.  What I have stop using is therabreath mints and gum because it wasn't working effectively.  Instead I use wrigley's extra sugar-free gum and it works.  I am also using decongestants on days I have excess mucus or post nasal.  I also use their 1 800 no. for any questions.  Don't get discouraged.  I hope you find something that works or give therabreath another try.  
Off the subject, but my last name is Gray and I have a cousin named Crystal Gray.
It always seems that I forget to mention something. Now, this is going to sound disguisting but if you have post nasal you probably have tonsil stones.  These are small white or yellow stones stuck in the throat.  I discovered I had them one day after trying to cough up some of that sticky mucus.  My first day using the irrigation system, I flushed out three and yesterday three more.  Those things stink really bad.  I know my breath is better after getting rid of those.  Now the decongestant that I'm using is benedril.  I'm not recommending that. It does a great job of drying post nasal but I'm sure it's not healthy to take everyday and besides it makes you sleepy.  I do plan to start using mucinex.  It's another decongestant advertised a lot. I also want you to look into using these therabreath tablets that you desolve in tap water. You can gargle with it and swallow some at night before bed.  It is also a good mouth wash. The reason I kept using the throat spray and nasal drop even though they worsened my bad breath is because they get rid of tonsil stones.  Those play a big role in how your breath smells.  The reason I saw mine flush out in the sink is because I put the tongue sprayer so far back in my throat that I gagged a little.(lol)  I know that sounds crazy, but I was trying to literally get to the source (lol) and it worked.  Again I am not recommending that.  Also go to the site when you get a chance and look at frequently ask questions.  You will find suggestions for that white coating on the tongue.  Let me know if I have helped you.
Get off your soapbox and stop selling the BS products from Dr Katz and better yet stay off the message boards.   This guys book is not a solution either, but rather a marketing piece for all of his gimics.  

*** Crystal, don't buy into this ****, this person is a plant pitching this guys products! There are solutions that will help mitigate the problem, but you will not find them in a mail order product.  Keep seeing an ENT and if the one your seeing does not help, go see another one until you find a doctor that has experience in this area.  Every city has a list of "Top Doctors" and what their specialties are.  Do some more research and focus your attention on finding a doctor that will listen and actually give your problem the attention it deserves, rather then sending you on your way after a 10 min visit with another perscprition for anti biotics.  
One thing, which I have recently become aware of, is "metal allergy". While I don't feel it's the source of all ills, I do feel it could be at the root of some problems. The other thing is, how many think of it, as a possible problem. I'm talking about any unnatural substance, we continually have in our bodies. ... false teeth, fillings, piercings, metal pins in broken bones, etc.. The other thing, the metal could be remote from where the problem manifests itself.

Just something to think about, when you are tired of the BS.
I had the same problem for like 4 years and it has just recently cleared up in a week. i had constant white coting on my tongue, would brush/scrape 3 times a day. i could not talk to people up close. I mean my breath was terrible, people would hold thier nose, cough and turn away. one of my nostrtils would block every now and then. The smell go so bad that i had to stop going out on social occasions.

First thing i did was buy a nasal irrigator machine which passes a saline solution through the nose and sinuses. this helped a little with the blockage but the smell was still there.

The real breakthrough came when i bought grapfruit seed extract 100ml bottle from the internet (there are many brands). this stuff kills bacteria, yeast and fungus.
i first put 12 drops in a glass of water and gargled with it sip by sip and then swallow. i did this 3 times a day after brushing and this stopped my breath and cleared my throat for many hours. (but did not totaly cure it)
I experimented one day and put 15 drops in my irrigator machine with the saline solution in the morning and to my amaisment my breath was fresh all day. after doing this for a week i had no nose blockage and no bad breath whatso ever.

I still brush and tongue scrape morning and night and drink 12 drops in water twice a day. this product has changed my life. i just hope i can help others because i know how life sapping having this curse is.
ss1981

You are reading content posted in the Allergy Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.