Post-nasal drip

I have been having problems with mu sinuses for a year now and its completely affected my life, I am afraid of social situations. I have ear pressure, pain, congestion and worst of all a bad smell which comes from my nose. It's so bad I can barely sit in a rome with people, people hold their nose around me especially when I speak. I had a CT scan it showed I had inferior hypertrophy on the right side of my maxillary sinus, sinusitis, and a mucus retention cyst on the right side.

Finally, I had turbinate cautery to clear the turbinate hypertrophy it has helped I can breathe finally, yet the smell hasn't diminshed at all. My ENT said it was from accumulation of post-nasal drip, which sounds unreasonable. Yet, this smell is really bad. People cough and quickly move away from me, I mean even people 5-6ft away, I feel as if I am contagious. The doctor put me on Astelin, it has dried up the phelgm I usally have but the smell still hasn't lessened. It's only been 3 days but I've been living this nightmare for a year, I'd hate to get my hopes up that I could be cured.

Does anyone know whether this is where the smell originates from? I thought it was my breathe because how could a smell come from your nose yet it has. It's really embarrassing because people are less than nice about it, my dating life has suffered and I've felt all alone on this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I recently purchased the grapefruit seed extract at a Whole Food Market store and the brand name I used is Nutri Biotic and it hurt like hell when using it and didn’t work a bit.  I tried it the way that ss1981 said and that’s to add15 drops in the irrigator and run it through my nostrils and it hurt like HELL.  It felt like my head was about to get blown off.  I don’t think I use the correct brand, because it made my problem worser.  I return that **** 3 days later and I’m now looking online to find a good one or the one that the others in this forum had use that’s if they ever come back on.  The G.S.E. not only made my post nasal drip problem worser but it made my eyes red immediately upon using it.  I then put 6 drops instead of 15 and it did the same thing with the same results.  Then I said o.k. I’ll use it with just 1 drop and it still gave me the same results as before.  In my honest opinion I don’t think I’m using the right one because if I was I’m sure the results would be different.  I understand that no 2 person are alike but still if these guys have use the same one that I use I’m pretty sure they would’ve mention the pain that it cause in the middle of their face and the red stain that it leaves in the eyes even if the brand had worked for them.  That’s just my experience with using the product. I pray that one of those guys who have seen result in using this product will come back on the forum and tell us which brand they use.
Did anyone find a cure. My story is like everyone else ....Dr Katz is a waste of money.
Did you add water or saline to the grapefruit extract? If you irrigated with just the extract alone you would be asking for a nasal-nightmare of pain.  

Hey JustMein09 I used water with the grapefruit seed extract.  But what's your story???  Do you have PND???  If not what did you use to cure the problem...
I'm going to try this method too (I also have PND) BUT, you must include the saline.  That's a must!!
*I tried this and copied a post I made on another page...reference the flip turn method, if you're interested.*  

OK Friggy, I had to give you the update and post this so that it can help others.  I had done the flip turn since Wednesday morning.  Wednesday during the day, the smell coming out of my nose must have been horrible.  People were making faces etc.  When I tested my breath, that was bad too.  I was really upset.  I was so depressed, I didn't even do it in the evening when I got home.  I did it again Thursday morning.  Awful smell from the nose during the day.  People were coughing and saying it smelled on the bus.  I stayed home Friday.  I had battled bad breath for a LONG TIME.  But, the bad smell from the nose was a new thing (which I can't smell/test myself).  It's one thing to just keep your mouth shut, it's a whole other thing to not be able to exhale/breathe without being thoroughly embarrassed.  I stayed home Friday and would not leave my apartment.  I was so upset.  I didn't do any flip turns (though I had planned to).  I stayed home Saturday and did not do any flip turns.  I was still very upset.  Here's the thing.  When I would do them, with the saline I wouldn't get any real gunk out.  It was just thick, clear, with areas of whitish mucus, but nothing extreme.  I went back to this site and saw a post about using grapefruit seed extract and it being a miracle worker.  I had used GSE in my neti pot before and was convinced that this was what brought on the BAD exhalation smell in my nose.  But, I figured I had nothing to lose and added it to my saline solution for the flip turn.  I did it a number of times (laying back on the edge of the bed the way someone suggested in the comments.  This was four in the moring (yes, I stayed up that long b/c I was so upset).  I did a ton of flip turns, holding each one for about 30 seconds or 45...I didn't really time it.  After a series of them (I had gone through maybe two ounces of solution).  I went to pour out the container I had used to expel the solution from my nose, there were BIG SOLID chunks of white stuff in it.  It resembled pieces of crumbled ricotta cheese.  I had never seen anything like it.  There were a whole bunch of these things...as if I had chewed up ricotta and spit it into the container!!  I did it a few more of these.  I didn't get any more ricotta cheese (maybe one little piece that you could barely see) and decided that it was time to go to sleep.  It was 5am.  I brushed my teeth, tongue, gargled w/ GSE in water and went to bed.  I woke up at noon.  I tested my breath by spitting on the back of my hand, letting it air dry and smelling (as I do every morning).  Usually, I catch a whiff immediately.  This time, I had to search HARD to find it.  I eventually did, But the smell was not nearly as putrid.  So, I can say that 7 hrs later (upon waking, no less), my breath's intensity has diminished AND the smell that is released is not as bad.  Usually my breath could smell after an hour and at FULL FORCE.  This is a true miracle for me.  A blessed Sunday.  I thank God for letting me discover your flip turn method and the other post about GSE (putting those two together may have just changed my life).  I don't know about the smell coming from my nose.  I'll have to test it tomorrow.  I'll probably got to the campus health center, tell them I'm sick and as the doctor or nurse if they smell something when I exhale (otherwise I'd just be wayyyy too embarrassed to ask anyone else).   But, yeah I'm going to keep doign this forever.  b/c it can only get better from here.  You know, I had bronchial pneumonia when I was two and always got bronchitis when I was younger (until my mom switched me to soy milk).  I used to drink regular milk all the time.  What I expelled this morning is probably residual from back then...in the '90s!!!  For anyone curious, I bought the Nutribiotic GSE (can be found on amazon or in any healthfood store) and added the amount of GSE they recommended for a nasal rinse to my hypertonic saline solution for the Flip Turn.  The amount of GSE I gargled with was also the amount this company recommended for gargling.  I will also post this on the other forum (the one that told me about the GSE) so that it can help them as well.  I think the Friggy flip turn + GSE can help a lot of people!  Thanks again and have a blessed day!!  Oh, and for people wanting to view either forum, just click on my profile and find the comments I've posted.  That will take you to the other site so you can view the discussions in entirety.  

You are reading content posted in the Allergy Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.