Allergy Community

Red Food Dye Allergy

After years of trying to figure out the reason for my random abdominal pains accompanied with diarrhea and vomitting, I've finally figured out I have a problem when I consume red food dye. I don't get hives, I don't get itchy, but I get violently ill. I can have a small amount such as 1 pink tums and feel sick. Now that I've discovered this, I've been a billion times better and I stay away from anything with red food dye.

The other night, however, I got sick as if I injested the dye. I went over every food I ate and every single thing I consumed, from drinks to candies to gum to anything and I couldn't pin point it. My mom eventually realized I wore a red shirt that day, and I realized I didn't wash it before I wore it and the dye had stained my armpits pink. Could the shirt dye have gotten into my system and made me sick? I figured it was only when the dye went through my digestive track, but it it possible to seep into my body through my armpits and make me that ill? (I did realize that after I got sick around 11pm, and after the episode was over within the hour, I went to bed with the red shirt on. I was jolted awake at 3:30am with the stomach pains and symptoms all over again. I finally took off the shirt just because I was sweating bullets and I didn't get sick after that.)
Hello and hope you are doing well.

It's unlikely that the dye could seep through the skin and cause nausea and vomiting. It could be an allergic reaction to food, more so if the symptoms have occurred with the consumption of the same food. Maintain a food dairy and note down and monitor your symptoms. This may help to narrow down the search.

The diagnosis of allergy is difficult to prove or refute. Clinical suspicion and trial of elimination diets are used. An allergy specialist might be able to help you.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.