Allergy Community

Sinusitis

Within the 3 months I've had recurring upper and lower jaw and tooth pains. After several trips to the dentist and multiple x-rays, the dentist confirmed that I do not have any type of abscess. And between my family physician and the dentist they feel that I could have a TMJ disorder. Occasionally blood will drain from between the gum and my upper / back molar. Neither my doctor nor dentist could offer a reason for this.

Yesterday after spending 16 hours in pain I went tot he ER. After obtaining my history they suggested a CT scan of my jaw and sinus cavity. When the results came in they informed me that the actual TMJ joint looked fine and no abscesses could be found, however they was a notable amount of dense mucus in my sinus cavity. I was placed on Claritin as an antihistamine and given Cefdinir for infection. They also recommended a sinus flush using a neti pot.

I've followed their instructions and now this morning I awaken to a swollen, almost bubble area where my upper wisdom tooth used to be. It is extremely sensitive tot he touch and if touched caused a piercing pain to shoot throughout my jaw.

Is this a sign that the infection has traveled through the cavity where my wisdom tooth was? Any help or advise would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks for writing to the forum!

I know it is difficult to comment without examining. However I have a strong suspicion that it could be osteomyelitis of the jaw bone. A CT scan needs to be done at the the point of upper wisdom tooth where there is a painful bubble.  You can go through this case : http://www.endomail.com/articles/yb09osteomyelitis.html

It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Do consult an orthopedic specialist for this. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.