Skin looks sunburned

I bought some lemons at a roadside mkt I used them in my ice tea I sliced one & added to my drink & within a few minutes I noticed my arm started itching & scratching caused it to turn red I didn't think to much of it until I turned red all over I looked like I had been sunburned & the itching was bad...The redness is fading now to pink but the itching is still bad...I set on my porch in over 80 degree weather in the sun with a coat on I was freezing shivering my skin felt very hot...I think I am on the mend I am just very curious if the lemon could have had a pesticide on it that might have caused it?  I thought my husband washed the lemons & he thought that I did so they didn't get washed I tossed them anyway & other then the lemon I was not exposed to anything or ate anything different...I have no clue what happened........Thanks
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
Sometimes it is just what you have done and that is trial and error.  Sounds like you have found the problem.  Not sure, many people many different allergies to certain things. You sometimes never know till it is too late.. and the red itchiness has began. Good luck!!
Helpful - 0
Hi Thanks for answering my post....Usually if it happens to me it is something weird.....The redness went away & some of the itch but oh wow did I itch & I am still itching some...I was starting to worry about it since my skin was so inflammed but I waited it out & if it didn't get better I would have seen about it.....Thanks again.....Lee
Helpful - 0
Since the itchy rash appeared immediately after taking the iced tea hence it looks like an allergic reaction to the lemon. These itchy rashes are called hives. The primary treatment is by oral antihistamines. The most potent antihistamine, however, is probably the anti-depressant doxepin. You can apply an anti-itch cream or lotion to the affected area. Oral antihistamine, such as Benadryl can also be used. Your mother should take a comfortably cool bath and wear smooth-textured cotton clothing.

If the symptoms persist then get an evaluation done from a dermatologist as topical and oral steroids may be needed.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your dermatologist. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.

Helpful - 0
I am thinking the pestisides on the lemon peel.  I never put lemons in my ice tea unless they are organic.  Trader Joe's has reasonably priced organic lemons.  There are so many pesticides in our foods.  Try organic.  Should go away for you.  
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Allergy Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.