Sore thraot and cough

Hello, I developed a sore burning throat for 2 days, then a dry cough. These would be symptoms of what? Thraot lasted 2 days, dry cough around 5.
Hello and hope you are doing well.

The symptoms described could be due to a throat infection, most probably streptococcal or a viral infection. Strep sore throat needs to be treated with an antibiotic as strep is a bacteria. Viral sore throat is best treated with rest, warm oral fluids and  (OTC) tylenol (acetaminophen) or ibuprofen for pain. If you develop a fever, or if there is enlargement of the tonsils with pain or if there is white coating on the tonsils, you will need to consult your primary care physician for a strep test, which if positive you will be given antibiotics.

Hope this helped and do keep us posted.
thank you very much for your reply. I actually did not get a fever, and the sore throat lasted only 2 days, leaving only a dry cough, this makes me think it was something viral, would you agree?
My throat did not particularly hurt when swallowing, it was just a burning sensation in teh back top of it.
IOne question, could this have been caused by allergies? The thing is that my throat first started giving me this burning sensation in the back of throat, and little cough while I was in a hotel room with A/C on and smoking cigarretes. Later during the night the sore throat came back, drank and smoked quite a lot that night. On sunday, had no particular sore thraot nor cough, but on monday my sore throat came back, it was pretty mild, nothing painful, it subsided on tuesday evening, leaving only dry cough till sunday.
Can this have been caused by an allergy? I had no runny nose nor nasal congestion-.

thank you

Sore throat for 2 days, and dry cough for 5 days, no runny nose nor congested. Does this sound like a cold or an allergy?
Sounds like allergies ,were you outside a lot as possible environmental ...
Hello, actually it began when I was in a hotel room that was allowed to smoke, so I had probably around 4 cigarrettes, it was then that the throat first felt like burning, also I had the air conditioner on. then, 2 days later it actually began the sore throat during the whole day.

does this seem like allergy to you or just a common cold without nasal problems?
I would say an allergy so take some claritin see if it helps .,if not take some cold meds or wait for it to pass..good luck
thank you very much, actually the sore throat is gone, it is just that dry cough which os pretty mild left. Hope it was an allergy, I hate colds or flus.
Thank you

You are reading content posted in the Allergy Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.