Allergy Community

Stomach cramps from eating pineapple

I have a 13 year old daughter and all of the sudden she is having stomach cramps after eating fresh pineapple.  I was just curious if this is common and why would it all the sudden occur?  This has happened twice in the last couple of months and she was smart enough to link the cramps to eating fresh pineapple.  Could you help me to understand this new allergy?  Thanks!  

It is a possibility that she is allergic to pineapples, or this could even be a c co-incidence that both the episodes of cramps occured after taking a pineapple.

It would be best to take some OTC antispasmodic medications and consult a doctor about the symptoms and possibly tha correct diagnosis too.

Let us know about how she is doing and if you have any further doubts.

Regards.
My husband and I had slices of a fresh pineapple last Wednesday and we have both been suffering with stomach cramps since.  We have had fresh pineapple before with no problems.  Could you tell us if this is a common problem with fresh pineapple?  Can you suggest anything to help with the stomach cramps which come and go?  Thank you

There could be a couple of causes of the symptoms you are having including - gastritis due to the pineapples being washed in contaminated water by the fruit seller ; food poisoning due to ingestion of some chemicals or substances along with the pineapple; etc.

You should take some over the counter antispasmodic medications like - mefenemic acid, buscopan, etc and also some antinausea, antireflux medications and see if it helps with your symptoms.

Consult your doctor if the symptoms still persist.

Let us know about how you are doing and if you have any other doubts.

Regards.
Hi, I did a search of 'pineapple stomach ache' and this discussion has come up as a result. Did you ever find out what it was with your daughter? I have exactly the same thing and it's definitly not a coincidence. Almost exactly an hour after eating pineapple I get a stomach ache. Is it an allergy or just maybe too acidic for me?

Karen
I have the same problem with pineapple.  I was being rechecked for allergies recently and brought this matter up with my allergist.  He checked to see if I was allergic to pineapple and the test was negative.  That explains why I can eat canned pineapple, just not fresh or frozen.  We are planning a trip to Hawaii in a few months...is there any over the counter medicine I can take to prevent this abdomial pain as a result of eating fresh pineapple?  I tried Tums, they do not work.
I have the same problem (suffering right now, as a matter of fact!) and for me it's an enzyme issue.  That's probably why some people can tolerate canned or cooked over frozen.  The canning and cooking kills the enzymes present in the fresh pineapple.  I've done a number of fresh pineapple juice fasts and I'm fine with ONLY pineapple.  If there is anything else in my digestive system it's painful for me.  So, just my observations in case it helps anyone.
Sorry!  I meant "tolerate canned or cooked over FRESH" not frozen.
I have the same problem , now i am 34 and still have it , i ct eat or drink any pineapple ,fresh or canned, and everytime i forgot and have a so painful stomach cramp
I have this problem too. Only discovered it after eating fresh pneapple yesterday and today.   Interesting to read this thread
Do you know what the enzyme is?
I'm suffering as we speak and your theory makes sense although it is surprising to me that you are ok with pineapple juice fasts, I wouldn't have expected that
I would blame the stomach problem on the heavy use of insecticide on pineapples. It is one of the most poisonous fruit for this reason.
It's likely the Bromelain enzyme in the Fresh Pinapple that is causing the reaction.  Processes or canning the pineapple breaks down that enzyme s you can eat the canned variety or drink the processed pineapple juice without the reaction.  
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.