Allergy Community

Sudden adult onset of food allergies? Specifically, chocolate. . .

Is it possible to develop a food allergy in adulthood that you have never experienced before?  I'm 32 years old and have recently developed unexplained head pain; a CAT scan showed nothing abnormal.

I had a 24-hour respite from the head pain and then it returned.  The only thing I could associate with the change was eating chocolate and can recall an increase in my chocolate consumption over the past two weeks.

Can an adult develop a food allergy from out of nowhere?

Thanks,
Kelly
I am 39 and just found out I am allergic to a variety of things I was never allergic to before - and one of them is chocolate! I had all the 'testing' done by an allergist as well as had BioMeridian testing done which confirmed everthing (and more!) They do say that when your Immune system runs low you can become more allergic to items...As you may read on some threads here - mine started with a severe allergic reaction to Blood Pressure meds...now, foods and household cleaners...it's almost mind-boggling to me! I hope you start to feel better.  Everyone reacts differently when allergic to foods etc...I get an all over body itch! ((I think I'd prefer a headache!))
I've heard that sulfites are in wine and chocolate. That can cause headaches.
Hi, I found out I had Melanoma skin cancer when I was 26 and shortly after found out that i am now VERY allergic to all dairy, tomatos, soy, and wine/grapes.  I am now 28 and I keep adding food to my allergy list.  I can not find an explanation to why this is happening to me.  It seams to be all of a sudden.  I have been tested for Crohn's disease, Addisons, and a huge amount of other disorders and illnesses.  My doctors guessed I had IBS and Fibromyalgia.  I have since tried a variety of medications for Fibro and am now off everything and I am having no pain, but me food allergies keep getting worse, no matter how many pills I take or acupunctures I get.  Does anyone know about studies done about sudden adult onset of allergies?  I have litterally lost 20 lbs in 6 months because I am having trouble finding things that don't make me sick!  At 104 lbs, I can't afford to lose any more! Please help!

Shelly
i have much in common with you -i'm 61 years old and have no real health isssues otherwise-i started acidolpylus(sp) and it reversed the weight loss for now--also take alpha lipoic acid (ala) and can't honestly say that it makes a difference-i have expiereinced burning mouth syndrome and depression which i believe is assosiated with chronic pain dr is puzzeled and i don't know what to do next

hope you get better
I suggest you might google candida as it can cause a variety of symptoms (IBS, burning mouth, depression) and even create food allergies as your absorbtion of food is messed up by the fungal overgrowth; basically causes leaky gut.  Also might look into Celiacs Disease, which is basically an allergy to gluten.  This allergy alot of times doesn't develop or at least doesn't show symptoms until adulthood.  And it can create allergies or intollerances to other foods basically by leaky gut again.

Either of these could be a possibility, but just something for you to look into.
i am currently undergoing allergy testing for sudden onset of allergy symptoms with every food but some veggies and nuts. i feel like i am going crazy and my dr. has threatened a feeding tube and suspects an eating disorder. i have lost 10 lbs already and am struggling to get through each day feeling hungry, weak and exhausted. i am afraid to eat food alone for fear the allergy attack will be severe. i am playing the waiting game right now hoping i am not hospitalized before the tests/answers come back. i, too, suspect candida could be the original cause, but my dr. is not exploring that possibility at all. i am very fearful of losing more weight, although at 132 i have a little more wiggle room than you. i am praying for a quick answer so that i can expand  my food choices beyond veggies...i am so hungry!
Hey all, I am having the same issues. i got really sick back in Nov 2006 and I still feel sick. I learned recently that im allergic to almost everything now. Food allergies run in my family but i never had them prior to my illness. I am very allergic (IGE) to wheat and milk, and soy and now sunflower seeds also. I had a high IGG (delayed reaction) to several other foods as well. Im miserable, Its not the food...but i have been free of all of these foods for 1 month now and im still feeling very ill. Swelling in hands, and nausia and fatugie and fullness in my throat. I also get a burning sensation on my ribs occassionally...like the skin hurts to touch. Im not sure what happened but i just want to feel 28 years old and be like everyone else again.  I also found out that i have borderline osetoperosis through a Dexa scan. If anyone has any ideas I would appriciate your help. P.S. I am also now doing allergy shots for the environmental allergies 3 times a week.
Have you been tested for autoimmune rheumatic diseases.  Sounds to me like it could be SLE (Systemic Lupus Erythromatosis) or Scleroderma.  I have had Scleroderma for 25 years now and I have developed several food intolerances and allergies since then.  Try to get an immune scan done (blood tests) via your General Practitioner it may throw some light on what you are experiencing.  Good luck.  I wish you well.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.