Allergy Community

Swellings

Random swellings which can come up all over my body at different times. They go as quick as they come. Im a 48 year old male with no other health issues apart from a high blood pressure. I am on no medication. Have been suffering with these swellings for a year now. Any advice ?
my husband has the same problem, it could be lips wrist shoulder just anywhere. his allergist put him on predisone. it helps witth the swelling, but know one know wht it is . if u find out anything i wish u would let me know. hw also has high blood pressure and he started selling in october 2006. he only takes the pred, when his lips swell up really bad.
Im having the same problem, it started 2 years ago when I went to my dad's house in colorado.  I havent been eating any different foods or anything but randomly things on my body will swell up, usually it's my lips.  but if I rub my eye just a tad bit, it would swell up till the point when I cant even open it anymore.  I would also get swellings on my shoulders, my hip, hands, arms, legs and especially on the bottom of my feet, I really dont kno wat it could be but everytime I visit a doctor they cant figure out wat it is they just say it could be allergies and I would really like to kno so this could end or if i can control it some kind of way. Mainly im just relieved to find other people out there like this because I felt alone really. Help me if u find a way to deal with it or find out what it may be.
I, too, have had the same problems and had a slew of tests from an allergist and found out that I am allergic to cedar trees and some grasses, but since he ran a full blood test and TH panel, he discovered I had Hashimoto's disease and believes the swellings are connected to it.

I had my first appointment with an endocrinologist and have recently started a treatment using Synthroid.

I recommend getting a full panel blood test to see if that can narrow it down for you. I'm still trying to find out why I keep having these random swellings and will continue to see doctors until I can find out. It's very annoying and sometimes the swellings can be embarrassing as I get them a lot on my face.

Good luck. Let me know if you find out anything and I will let you know if I do.
I have the same problems.  It started a year ago.  Ive been to several doctors and several medications.  The next they want to try is prednisone ?sp     Im extremely frustrated.
My acquaintance also have the same problem and it's first time i am hearing about such kind of disease. How it is called? So far I could not see any advice from this site. Does s.o. knows what can cure this?
thx,
Meri
I started about a year ago with what felt like a mosquito bite on my head.  It was an itchy bump.  Before I knew it I had lumps all over my head that eventually turned into swelling on my forehead, eyes, lips and ears.  Eventually it worked its way down my body and turned into hives.  The doctors say its an allergy but can't figure out what to.  Prednisone finally took the swelling away.  But recently it started again, but much milder than before and mainly swollen bumps on the forehead.  I thought it could be related to otc migrain medicine, but i haven't taken any in over a year because so scared of allergic reactions.  resorting to baby asprin to deal with migrains.  Any help???
Oh my gosh, I am glad I accidentally found this site.  For the past 6-7 mos I have had slight swelling over my lip, nose and eyes from most foods.Some reactions are stronger then others.  In Feb when eating most foods, it felt like hives were developing on my feet but they did not look like hives. The past month, whenever I am on my feet, it feels like they are swelling, are heavy and sometimes it is hard to walk up stairs to bed, is better in the morning. The acupuncturist noticed swelling in my ankles and mentioned a kidney problem. It is not pain. I also have an elevated ANA titer, 1:1280, speckled and am anxiously awaiting my Rheumatology appt on August 9th. I have been to so many Dr's and not until today, when I saw an elderly former oncologist, who has been practicing internal medicine for the last 8 years, did anyone mention angioedema. Have been to 2 dermatologists in past 6 mos, no one mentioned angioedema.  I can only eat 9 foods without reacting, have lost about 20 pounds and am hungry all the time and so tired of the same dull foods. Has anyone experienced foot symptoms like this ? I took a pic to show the dermatologist the next time I go, sometimes feet get real red and shiny.  The allergist was no help, saw her 3 times, do have a few allergies, food and environmental. Claritin did nothing, could not tolerate the zyrtec or allegra, felt hung over have one of each. Thanks, welcome any feedback and if anyone is in the Seattle area, if they know of anyone who could help.

Kathleen

I finally figured out the cause of my random swelling, small places on a, foot, hand, lip, arm, throat, tongue.
All caused by CORN. Anything with corn, corn syrup, canola oil, corn breading (on fish or chicken) Problem is, it takes 24 to 72 hours from eating corn to swelling symptom, (usually 48-56 hours). Try reading the ingredients and eat a corn free diet, most everything has corn in it. It all started 6 years ago after a 2 week visit in China. Maybe China has nothing to do with it. I am 56 great health, no meds.
I too have been experiencing swelling for no apparent reason.  Sometimes it will start as a mild itch or tingle and then within a short time the swelling starts.Both bottoms of feet and one hand are swollen today.  I haven't eaten anything all day.  The allergist gave me a list of foods and molds that I am allergic to but I still have the swelling.  It is very embarrassing when it is on my face.  The swelling usually last for about 24 hours before the pain go away. Soaking in an epson salt bath relieves the pain temporarily but not the swelling.  I feel your pain. I had blood work done to see if my autoimmune system is ok. It is.  I just can't believe that allergies are the problem.  The swelling is so ramdon and in different locations.
Hi guys I am 51 and hve been going through this for many years. I too am in great health, and have been on high blood meds before I and allergic to pennicilin but I am not on any meds. This has been happinig since about 2000 but more recently it has been coming every week keeping me from work. Right now I'm typing with one eye which started with little lumps in my head (which is new) HELP!!
Wow 11 years, I have had this for 6 years and it seem to be getting worse.
Biggest problem is it takes 2 1/2 days for a symptom to appear and now after I eat just a little bit of something with corn in it. Used to be able to tolerate a small amount, but not now. IF I take an Allegra pill, between meals (no food 2 hours) with water (NO juice cause that disables Allegra) the swelling will subside in 2 - 4 hours. Taking it every day does NOT prevent the swelling. It used to take 30 mintes to subside, I guess I'm becoming immune to Allegra. Doctors don't have a clue cause they are not trained in nutrition. Blood tests (3 times) all good. Have you seen all the stuff with High fructose corn syrup in it? Even ketsup has it. Technically is' not a allergy, it's a food intolerance because it requires more than 12 hours for the symptom to appear.
It's been 6 years now...   not all of that time has been filled with random swellings, but recently it's been happening more and more.   It's always random spots..  feet, hands, hips, arms, my poor balls, and on the face.   Just yesterday my eyelid started to swell up for the first time ever, and today i can barely see out of it.   My symptoms usually last about 2-3 days.   benadryl never helps..   seems like nothing does.  i just have to let it run it's course.   The swollen areas are usually red, warm to the touch, and itchy if i touch or ru them.   sometimes if i rub the area, it becomes so painful i just cant stand it.   On the bottoms of the feet are the worst, because i cant even walk on them due to the pain.    I've gone to the ER, had tons of blood work for food allergens, toxic metals(as i am a welder.   My mother seems to think it's a chemical sensitivity thing, due to the circumstances when it first started.  I'm wondering if any one else with these symptoms works or handles volatile chemicals?   paint/lacquer thinners?   anything like that?       I've been to too many doctors and all of them are stumped.       Now, a little insight from my mind...     i have animals running around the house..   I find that when i walk around barefoot, especially down the basement stairs near the cats litter box, my feet will swell up more frequently.   So im thinking maybe it has something to do with animal dander/dust/cat litter.      When my poor ball sack swelled up, i was scratching at it a little bit before hand(just as guys do, for no other reason), and then later, noticed a small swollen area.. gradually spreading.  So maybe still animal dander/dust combined with irritating the area?     I really have no idea..   Neither do Dr's.    I saw a post about corn being the reason, but ive always eaten corn.. everything has corn in it..   i'd be a balloon by now.    Saw another about hypothyroidism... and it seems like i have a few of the symptoms.    gonna check that out next.      At the very least, it's nice to know others are going through what i am.      Please feel free to share your stories and any ideas you may have of what is doing this to us!!!!!
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.