Allergy Community

Vasomotor Rhinitis and Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block

After a nasal polyp surgery in 2009 I (male, 45) am suffering from vasomotor rhinitis (VMR).

The only symptom is watery rhinorrhea triggered by hot/spicy food, cold air, and especially by cycling even in not so cold air, which is very annoying for a passionate biker. Response to therapy (antihistamines, topical corticosteroids) is poor, nasal ipratropium (Atrovent) is reducing symptoms but causing nosebleeds.

I've found a paper indicating that a relatively simple procedure of blocking certain nerves (the SPG) may be helpful: "Vasomotor Rhinitis and Sphenopalatine Ganglion Block" (http://www.jpsmjournal.com/article/S0885-3924%2897%2900008-0/abstract).

Such SPG block is typically offered as therapy for cluster headaches. Pain clinics I contacted knew little about effects on VMR, ENT doctors didn't know the procedure. Also the paper I've mentioned is the only one I could find, and in table 1 it is describing sneezing as the only symptom of most subjects of the study. So I'm now wondering whether an SPG block could also be effective for patients like me with watery rhinorrhea being the only symptom.

Does anyone have experience with SPG block for a similar condition?
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.