Allergy Community

What are your food allergy symptoms and signs?

A person with a food allergy can have symptoms beginning as soon as 2 minutes after eating the food, but reactions may take 1 to 2 hours to appear. Occasionally, symptoms abate quickly, only to recur in 3 to 4 hours.The most common symptoms include:Itching followed byHives,A rash of raised, andReddish bumps or whealsLip and mouth swellingBelly (stomach) crampsNauseaVomitingDiarrheaOther symptoms of food allergies may include:Itching and watering in the eyesRunny or stuffy noseSymptoms of a more severe reaction to foods or drinks could include:Shortness of breath or difficulty breathingTightness in the chestFeeling of tightness or choking in the throatRapid or irregular heart beatFeeling dizzy or light-headedLosing consciousnessA severe allergic reaction can be life threatening. This severe reaction is referred to as anaphylaxis, or anaphylactic shock. Signs and symptoms of anaphylactic shock are:Dizziness, lightheadedness, and loss of consciousness due to dangerously low blood pressure, called "shock."An anaphylactic reaction can begin suddenly, or it may develop gradually with itchiness and swelling of the skin and throat and then progress to a severe reaction over a few hours.Most people get such a reaction immediately after eating the food, but in a few unusual cases the reaction occurs only after exercising following the ingestion of the food.Severe reactions are most often seen with allergies to nuts, fish, and shellfish, although allergy to any food can cause anaphylaxis.People with asthma, childhood allergies, eczema, or prior severe food allergies are especially at risk for having an anaphylactic reaction.MSG reaction can be mistaken for an allergic reaction. Symptoms and signs of MSG reaction include:Burning sensation at the back of the neck and radiating down the arms and chestTingling and numbness in the same areasHeadacheNauseaOccasionally, difficulty breathing, especially in those with poorly-controlled asthmaA few people experience seizures, irregular heartbeats, and anaphylaxis after the use of MSG.Contrary to popular beliefs, MSG has no relation to Alzheimer disease, Huntington chorea, or other chronic illnesses.
For the past week I have been breaking out in raised welts on my arms and back. I did not think it was food related until today.  I ate two pieces of chocolate and within an hour both my arms have raised welts on them and are itching like crazy. In the afternoon I ate a chocolate cupcake and the same thing happened to my back.  This is not the first time this has happen, but chocolate is not always involved... as I really eat very little of it.
I have an insane case of food allergies. I am allergic to most fruits, a ton of vegetables, nuts, soy, milk, and wheat. I find that most of the fruits and veggies produce very minor reactions. Today however I had a severe reaction to some tea I've never tried before. I didn't realize my symptoms were considered anaphylaxis and that I was pretty much in shock. I tried to sleep it off and take Benadryl which helped temporarily but I am now on my way to the hospital. My suggestion to everyone who has allergies is to get re-tested every few years in order to prevent episodes like I'm having today.
Every time I have A wholemeal bread roll and fried bacon and egg in it, half hour later I get heavy in the eyes and feel very tired. Eyes are sore and heavy. I love eating it but not sure if its the bacon or the roll or all combined. I can eat poached eggs on wholemeal toast without feeling like this. Could it be the bacon??
After eating at restaurants (most recently at a Chinese restaurant) my body has an extreme reaction:  Dizziness, and sometimes vertigo  Extreme tremor in my right hand  Tremor throughout my body  These symptoms are bad enough for me to consider that my body may be in shock.   One neurologist suggested that it may be a condition called, "Wilson's Syndrome," where my liver retains copper which causes toxicity. So I'm careful to avoid all foods and water that may be high in copper. However, I have recently had the same reactions after eating at a Chinese restaurant.  Are there any others out there with these symptoms?  Symptoms first appeared around age 60.
I became allergic to all fruits, fruit juices, cured and smoked meats, spicy foods, coffee, tea, alcohol, chocolate and probably many more that I'm not even aware of. This first happened after I had my third baby at 23 and I ate a couple of strawberries and my allergy to foods escalated from there.
I get watery, itchy eyes and a runny nose.
I get an allergic reaction to tomatoes and foods with curry. My throat starts to itch when I eat those foods.
My son has drug and food allergy. He develops bumps on his forehead. He gets red sores on legs and hands. I have found that he is allergic to nuts.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.