Allergy Community

What signs and symptoms did you experience with your sinus infection?

Pressure and pain in the sinuses (in different areas of the face or behind the eyes) are the main symptoms of sinusitis.      Signs and symptoms of sinus infections depend upon the sinuses that are affected, and whether the sinus infection is acute or chronic.Sinus Infection Symptoms and SignsStuffy nose or congestionRunny nose (mucus may be yellowish or greenish in color)Postnasal dripTooth discomfort or painLoss of sense of smellEar pain, pressure, or fullnessHeadacheBad breathHearing lossRinging in the ears (tinnitus)Facial pain, tenderness, or pressure in the area of the sinusesFeverFatigueCoughSore throatAcute Sinusitis SymptomsNasal congestion with dischargeNasal drainage that may be clear or whitish in colorPostnasal drip (mucus drips down the throat behind the nose) often accompanied by a sore throatPain across the cheekbone, under or around the eye, or around the upper teethEar pain or earacheHeadache in the temple or surrounding or behind the eyePain or pressure symptoms are worse when coughing or strainingFever is commonPain or pressure on one or both sides of the faceFacial swellingDizzinessItchy throatSneezingChronic Sinusitis SymptomsChronic sinusitis may have many of the same symptoms as acute sinusitis, but the symptoms last longer or are more severe. In addition, people with chronic sinusitis may also experience multiple symptoms, for example:Pain that is worse in the late morning or when wearing glassesPain and pressure in the face worsens when leaning forwardChronic sore throat and bad breathChronic toothache or increased tooth sensitivityIncreased facial discomfort throughout the day with increased cough at night
I am so happy that I found this site as it has helped me better understand my condition. This is the 2nd sinus cold I have had in the past few months & this one has been the worst pain that I have ever experienced. I have been sick for 5 days and took Tylenol Sinus for 2 days but it no longer helps. My nose could not stop running for 3 days, now I feel a deadly pressure in my head, cheeks & throat. I thought it was from a toothache. Thanks for the info. I will go see the doctor first thing in the morning.
With my sinus infection I have a complete loss of smell (therefore effecting your taste almost completely). It is very scary. It eventually comes back slowly with a foul taste from the infection draining out (it has no where else to go).
I just returned from my dentist after being up all night with excruciating pain in all the teeth on my upper left side. She took xrays and decided that it has to be a sinus infection because I see a dentist regularly and no dental problems shown on xray. After 2 doses of antibiotics my pain was completely gone. I hadn't been sick but now my nose is running and my throat hurts.
In Feb 2009 I contracted my first ever sinus infection. After 2 months of antibiotics it still didn't clear up so I was referred to an ENT and in March 2010 had surgery. Still today, March 2011, I am very sick and in a great deal of pain. Countless amounts of antibiotics, anti-inflammatory medications and pain killers have not seemed to help. Now my ENT wants to do a second surgery. I am doubtful this will help. Also my ENT told me not to use netti pot when infection is present. I just don't know what to do. Although I am constantly blocked up I have only been able to blow my nose a handful of times in 2 years, I can barely smell or taste anything and my voice has changed. My quality of life is not good. I don't socialize, can't work much and feel sorry for my husband as he has to put up with me being snotty and grumpy all the time! I really need help.
I started feeling pain and pressure in my jaw and ear so I thought it was from clenching my teeth, or something, while I slept. Now the pain has intensified tenfold to the point of the whole right side of my face (jaw, ear, cheekbone and temple) now are extremely painful and nothing seems to help with the pain - I've also had a persistent sore throat and cough that keeps me awake at night. I am 45yrs old and a smoker of less than a pack a day. Also, my throat and uvula have been red and swollen for about a year now.
I have had a sinus infection for the past six months. I have been to see my doctor two times. I have a chemical smell in my nasal passage that smells like burnt plastic. I can find some relief with Flonase spray, but it just doesn't go away.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.