Avatar universal

allergy mystery

My wedding band is made of 14 karat white gold.  I have an allergic reaction to it when I wear it on my left ring finger after wearing it for as little as 10 minutes.  I get little white bumps that itch and burn and I get a rash.  I haven't worn the ring on that finger in about 2 months but I can still see remnants of a rash.  The strange part is that I have been wearing the same ring on my right hand ring finger and I get no rash.  What is this??
2 Responses
535822 tn?1443976780
This is very common my daughter gets it she simply put a cream on it it is one of the cortisone creams, google it , it is an allergy to the ring materials my daughters ring is yellow gold and she gets it also with gold earings, behind her ears.
351246 tn?1379682132

Thanks for the post.

I know it sounds very strange that the ring causes allergy on one finger but not on the other. However it is possible to have localized allergy to a particular metal. Alternatively maybe you had a very mild allergy, hardly noticeable, on that finger that got aggravated by gold touching it.

I would suggest you see a skin specialist to know what it is exactly. If it was only due to localized reaction to gold, it should have healed by now.

Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted.

Have an Answer?

You are reading content posted in the Allergy Community

Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.