Allergy Community

coughing only at night

I only cough when I lay down at night to sleep. I get a tickle feeling in my throat and it makes me cough. Is this an allergy? I have never had any allergies before so I am not sure.

Cough on lying down is due to acid reflux like in gastroesophageal reflux disease(GERD).

Acid from your stomach may back up into your throat. This is called acid reflux. It can cause heartburn or cough. Try raising the head of your bed about four inches with blocks. It also might help to avoid eating or drinking for two hours before you lie down. To help control the stomach acid, one should not drink alcohol or drinks with caffeine in them, or eat chocolate or spicy or greasy foods.

Take some OTC antacid like Mylanta.You can also take zantac(ranitidine)or prilosec(omeprazole).These will help.Also keep your fluid electrolyte balance optimum by drinking lots of fluids.

Sometimes the cause of chronic cough can be asthma and medications like antihypertensives (ACE inhibitors).Pls check them out.

I hope I have provided you with sufficient information. In case you need any more then pls post us.
Take care and regards.

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.