Allergy Community

my lips

Last july I started noticing little bumps on the edges of my lips. They woud always feel chapped and get irritated. I went to the Dr and was sent to a dermatologist. I was told that they were just glands that got irritated and to try some allergy medicine. It has been over 6 months and it comes and goes. The bumbs ae always there but they bother me all the time. Sometimes even burn. I stay away from spacy foods now and am almost afraid to eat. I drink through a straw and only use vaseline sparingly on my lips now. All the Dr's tell me there is nothing wrong, it is common for people with "full" lips. I'm not very comfortable with that because I feel them all the time and it affects my day to day living.  I've noticed them to bother me more during menstration... what can I do besides lay back and take it....

You should use a moisturising lip balm with sunscreen - preferably a medicated one - ask your dermatologist to prescribe you one.

You also need to drink plenty of water - 1.5 to 2 litres per day and eat a balanced diet and supplement any viamins or minerals for the deficiency in your diet. Take vitamin B complex for some days.

Apply a glycerine based lip cream at night.

Keep the area clean - wash your face with a face wash several times a day and also clean your face after each meal with a wet tissue or wash it with water generously.

If the symptoms still persist, you should get a review from your dermatologist.

Let us know if you have any doubts.

Good luck.
I as using medicated lip balm and I think it irritated it more. I am very careful with what I put on my lips no and I do need to drink more water. Thanks. I thin what I really need is to get an allergy skin test, because this is just not working for me. I do follow all the advice given though. again thnks..

Let us know what the allergy specialist advises.

Also, post us in case you have any doubts.

Regards.
I have an appointment on friday. Until then I did go to a nutritionist and was told to take l lysine in the mean time. Going back I have been gettng major dental work done and I just realized I have been going since june of last year. Maybe one has something to do with another with all the latex, novacaine, pulling of my lips or maybe its just a hormone imbalance. As far as I know it is not an STD. Ive had these glands on my lips as far as I can remember, but something is deffinately irritating them and it is driving me crazy. The allergy meds I was taking gave me anxiety bad, so That idea went out the window. And the dermatologist told me to take them. So I hope when I go back the 3rd time will be a charm. I am done going to the dentist and my lip problems are still there but not as bad. Could it have been that? I just got done with my monthly cycle. Is that why? But now i'm taking something else.... I don't know.... time will tell.....

You could be right about the association with the dental sittings and your lip lesions. You could try to still follow the above measures - drink plenty of water and keep them well moisturised.

Ask your dentist, if the next appointment could be scheduled after a couple of weeks , so that would allow your lip lesions to heal.

Do you have any other symptoms? What dental problems are you having?

Keep us posted.

Regards.
no luck. I eventually went to an allergist and had some testing done. As far as I know I am not allergic to anything. It has been a couple of months since my last dental visit and my lips aren't as bad. They still get irritated and the closest thing they can say is that I have contact dermatitis and was given a cream which works for a week or so then It comes back. Changes in wheather seem to affect them as well. I am still applying the cream and its been over a month. Something just isn't right. No other symtoms. just the lips. they aren't dry. sometimes they tingle. sometimes they kinda burn around the rims and sometimes they even feel kinda fuzzy like. Its weird. I have even been told that it looks like I have lip liner on. I don't know. As far as my dental problems. I had a root canal. a very deep filling. other fillings and 4 crowns put in. after a few months later I still cant chew on one side and cold still hurts my teeth. Now theres a whole other set of problems that I need to deal with. They kept getting my front crown wrong so I was going to the dentist over and over getting my mouth stretched. now I don't even want to go back to fix my "can't drink cold problem" because I dont want to irritate my mouth again if that is the problem.   argh!! this is so irritating. On the right side. At least I know its not some kind of std or anything like that!

It is indeed most frustrating when medical science fails to establish a diagnosis inspite of doing all possible tests and seeing specialists too.

Just because you mention the tingling and numbness, i think you could give a shot at consulting a neurologist - whether this could be paresthesias or something related and then maybe a cause can be established. I know it sounds like beating around the bush, but i guess it would be worthwhile if we could get some answers.

Keep us posted.

Regards.
I have had the same symptoms’ as you described.
I have small clusters of white/ yellow little bumps on my lower an inner upper lip. They burn and tingle from time to time. I have had the condition for almost two years.
I used to have perfect looking lips until I noticed the condition and have been trying everything to get rid of them!
I have been to multiple doctors and demitaligest and they all tell me that they don’t know what they are or that they can’t help me.
In the morning I have noticed that I do have some white fluid on my inside of my lips, I think it is from the small little bumps described above. The doctors say that it’s normal, I am telling you what I have is Not normal. Most of them don’t even know what it is!
I think I contacted this from Oral sex form a woman that I met. After we were together I notice the condition about 6 weeks later.
Why isn’t anyone looking into what is causing this? I think the public should know so they could force the doctors to acknowledge the problem! I am Not sure what to do next and I am tired of waiting of the condition to go away!

Have you seen a skin specialist for your symptoms as yet? Nothing can be said with surety without examining the lesions.

Has candidiasis been ruled out? What is your age? Are you eating a proper diet including vitamins and minerals?

Have you tried any medications for the lesions?

Let us know the answers to the above, so that we may be able to help you.

Regards.
After all this and no answers, what seems to be working is L Lysine, hydrocortisone1%-iodoquinol1% and aquaphor. dont know which one helps but since I have been using all 3 things are much better. And I cant say they are lesions. I do know that they are irritated glands. I just don't know what irritates them.  If Looking_for_answers has the same condition as me then I know its not an STD coincidence that they were noticed around the same time? maybe?

Have you seen a skin specialist for your symptoms as yet?

How are you doing now?

Do keep us posted.

Regards.
Hello All,
Sorry for the delayed response I have a lot going on lately.
I have Not been to a skin specialist, is that different from a dermatologist?
I have been to three different dermatologist two said they never seen what I have before and could not help me The other dermatologist said I have fordyce spots I could do nothing about it. The problem is nobody knows what causes Fordyce spots, is anyone looking what really causes this or how to get rid of it?
I asked him if it could be HPV and then he wanted to cut a chunk of skin from my lip to test it. I opted not to get the test I didn’t want any skin cut from my lips.
If they could scrape my skin and test that I am fine with that.
As far as having candidasis I think that everyone has that from one deg to another.
I know that you can buy kits at the health food store to help you get rid of candidasis if you have it. I have not purchased it but that is a option I would be willing to try.
To tell you a little about me I am 44 year old male. I try to take care of myself
I purchase vitamins at a local health food store so they are good quality.
I also take a probitic formula tablet once every three days.
The product is from garden of life, I have been taking for over 5 years on and off.
I also take a product called intestine new its’ to help support a healthy intestinal lining I take that one a week.
When I do take that the white/yellow bumps seam to diminish, but not go away.
Also what seems to help is when I take a digestive enzyme with my dinner the condition of the bumps seams to improve.
I drink plenty of water and I always drink purified water and Never tap water.
The only thing that could be a problem is that I like to drink beer, most guys do.
I drink good quality beer from glass bottles only, But I am always mixing it up.
All types from double bocks to barley wines,  that is beer styles if you don’t know.
I also drink unfiltered beer from Belgium. Maybe the yeast strains from the beer are affecting my system? It is something I have thought about.
I have not had physical contact with a woman because I am afraid I will spread something to someone. This in itself is unhealthy and is starting to affect my wellbeing and state of mind.
I appreciate the help and information, all the Best
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.