Allergy Community

obliterative bronchiolitis/MBL

my daughter has had asthma from the age of 1,has been in and out of hospital all a life and we are now being told shes has obliterative bronchiolitis and a MBL of 0,any help on what these mean would be greatful
I'm sorry to hear that.
It greatly depends on what is causing it. If it is from an adenovirus infection, this may be a short lived, temporary problem. This is also very contagious.
Because she has a low MBL level, it could be more problematic or possibly life-threatening. Low MBL levels are generally attributed to genetics.

Bronchiolitis is caused by several different viruses. The most common of these is respiratory syncytial virus (RVS), which is responsible for about 100,000 hospitalizations of children under age four each year. Two subtypes of RSV have been identified, one of which causes most of the severe bronchiolitis infections. In addition, bronchiolitis can be caused by influenza, parainfluenza, and adenoviruses, all of which are common from fall through spring. These viruses are spread in tiny drops of fluid from an infected person's nose and mouth through direct contact, such as shaking hands, or kissing. The viruses can also live several hours on countertops, toys, or used tissues and easily infect people who handle contaminated items. The time from infection to the appearance of symptoms varies from two to seven days.
Obliterative bronchiolitis is sometimes a severe form of pediatric bronchiolitis due to adenovirus.

Unlike some viruses, this virus can come back again and again...but it the symptoms should be milder each time.

Causes for obliterative bronchiolitis can include:
Transplant rejection while transplanting organs
Stevens-Johnson Syndrome
Drug reaction
Collagen vascular disease
Aspiration
Exposure to toxic fumes. These include: sulfur dioxide, ammonia, thionyl chloride, hydrogen flouride, diacetyl, hydrogen bromide, nitrogen dioxide, hydrogen chloride, phosgene, hydrogen sulfide, mustard gas, ozone and poly-amine dyes.
Viral Infection. This include: HIV, Adenovirus, Respiratory syncytial virus, cytomegalovirus
Prematurity complications (Bronchopulmonary dysplasia)
Rheumatoid arthritis
Oral emergency medicines, like activated charcoal

Did they give her any medications for it?
Did they send her home telling you to keep her hydrated?
Oxygen to take home?
Were you told that she may require a lung transplant?
Depending on what you were told, you can figure out how severe this problem is.
If the asthma was due to allergies, then what the doctors are saying is that she has built up scar tissue in her lungs due to being exposed to the allergen for a very long time.

I hope this helps, and I wish you all the best.

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.