rash on neck and face

about a year ago I started to get severe onsets of swelling and itching on my neck.  It started with itching-like dry skin.  Then I would get the itching on my face and my face and neck literally were red with swelling.  I tried rosacia creams and anything to sooth my actually "hot"skin.  I eventually called the doctor with probably my 3rd breakout in 5 months-The doctor was stumped.  He put me on a steroid, antibiotic and bedadryl (interveniously to start) and it cleared up. He did notice a lump on my thyroid and sent me to an endocrinologist where I was diagnosed with Hashimitos disease and I did have a solid nodule that reduce in size with Levothroid.  I have been on the medicine for 6 months, thinking this all had to do with my thyroid.  Until now, I have had no flair ups.  I was told I should go for a complete allergy testing.  This has always been confined to my neck to start-could this have to do with my thyroid?  I do have allergies that runs in the family and I take a Zyrtec every day for indoor/outdoor allergies.  I am being hesitant to run to the doctor for testing as I have health insurance but my deductibles are high and the economy has hit us hard as my husband has owned a real estate company for 25+ years.  Any advice would be helpful.  The swelling is bad enough that I do wear turtlenecks to cover up.
Thanks for writing to the forum!

The rash could have started due to exposure to some thing like a necklace, over exposure to sun or heat and persisted. Do you recall any such incident? It could also be psoriasis. Rashes are also associated with Hashimoto’s and may be generalized or localized. With a family history and Hashimoto’s the chances are the rash is due to this reason only. However this would also require you to undergo some tests to check your immunoglobulin levels. An allergy panel needs to be done.

It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!
This rush on your neck could be reaction to genetically modified cotton.Please check web site for similar reaction to cotton bra
I don't wear jewelry, generally.  I will schedule allergy tests and keep you posted.  Thanks for your help.
I took your advice and had immunoglobulin testing and an allergy panel.
I have a load of allergies, from dust mites to milk, wheat and eggs (all my favorites).  I also had a cat scan done because of an inflammation that I have above my collarbone.  Severe enough to make my neck look enflamed-right side more so than the left.  The cat scan showed so inflammation in my lymph nodes in the anterior or postior of the neck.  My immunology test for P-ANCA (mpo) WAS .92  and my ANA was Positive 1:80.  Can this inflammation in my neck be because of something else going on in my body?  His suggestion was to see an allergist and follow up with him in 8 weeks.  My thyroid Microsomal AB was >1000.  My TSH was 1.27.  He kind of blew off the swelling I have.  Does the cat scan pretty much confirm nothing to worry about?
Thanks for keeping me posted!
I am glad you took the tests. Now you have a clear picture of your allergies. The tests more or less point towards Hashimotos Thyroiditis.  Please consult an endocrine specialist.
Hope this helps. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

You are reading content posted in the Allergy Community

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.