Allergy Community

swelling blisters cracked side of lips

I have had allergies my whole life shots at age 5. I have developed sweeling tonguge that is very pianful, with tiny blisters and sometimes larger. The corners of my mouth crack and hurt and I see what could be blisters under my skin on the inside of my lips. I think it is part leaf mold, airbourne, and new to me food. I just want to identify the food.
It may be crab, citrius, blueberry, chocolate, bananas. Does this sound familar to anyone?  
Yes, it sounds familiar!

I suggest the basic food elimination diet.  It will help you to identify the culprit(s).  Do the online research about this elimination diet.  There are about 16 major items you completely remove from your diet for between 2 to 6 weeks to get your body into a neutral state before you start checking the forbidden items.  You save wheat and sugar for last.  You eat a significant amount of the suspected item.  Then, you wait for three or four days to see if you have a reaction to the suspect food.  Meanwhile you are back on the elimination diet.  Two of the big items are ones you already mentioned, the citrus and the chocolate.  You can do this same thing even with the items that are not mentioned on the basic elimination diet, if they're items you suspect.  If you're sure you will have a severe anaphylactic reaction to something--don't test it, because it's not safe for you.  For instance, I know already that I will have an anaphylactic reaction to crustaceans and to nuts.  I know not to test these items.  No sense in inviting disaster.

It's a real drag having these sensitivities.  Citrus will cause me to get blisters inside of my mouth, so I didn't have to test that one either.

There is another way, but it's rather pricey.  You won't find any insurances that will cover it either.  Check out the website called Allcat Worldwide.  

As you know by now, blood tests don't always reveal everything you're allergic to either.  Not even revealing things that you know you will react to.

I just read a great article on mercola.com that I think you will find very helpful, too.  You don't even have to subscribe in order to read this article either.  Go to the website, then look for the article "How Yeast Wreaks Havoc on your Life (Health) and How to Adress it".  In it, it talks about how Candidas is linked to food allergies.  Check it out.  I think you'll be glad that you did.

Without examination confirmation of a diagnosis is tough but the symptoms that you are having can be due to stomatitis and angular stomatitis. Stomatitis is an inflammation of the mucous lining of any of the structures in the mouth and Irritation and fissuring in the corners of the lips is termed angular stomatitis.

Most common causes are iron deficiency anemia, or vitamin B deficiencies.They can also be caused by allergies and infections.Try taking some iron supplements and multivitamins for some days and see if the sumptoms persist.If they persist,then celiac disease or other causes of malnutrition have to be ruled out.Pls consult a physician in that case.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted on how you are doing or if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

I think you just gave me a possible answer to why I've been getting more of these mouth blisters than ever before, eventhough I've done all these food elimation trials myself.  I have been using high doses of chelated iron (can't take prescription iron) under directions from my doctors, and as I've already mentioned, I may be allergic to my vitamin B6 supplement.  And, I have good reason to believe I have celiac, eventhough I tested negative for sprue.  I hadn't been eating any gluten.  My nephew has tested positive for celiac, and it's known to be genetic.  My IBS feels better without eating gluten, too.  And, I've been using vitamin D supplements.  I was severely vitamin D deficient when it was tested the first time in my life several months before.

When testing for malnutrition, what kinds of other tests should I ask about?  My appointment is on Monday.

Thanks for writing in this forum.

Very commonly,malnutrition will often be noticeable to the doctor’s trained eye.However there are various lab investigations for malnutrition.These include total lipid profile, CBC (Complete Blood Count),CMP (Comprehensive Metabolic Panel),albumin,total protein,
prealbumin levels,iron tests (such as iron, TIBC, and ferritin) and tests for vitamin and minerals (such as B12 and Folate, Vitamin D, Vitamin K, Calcium, and Magnesium.

Pls discuss these options with your doctor.
Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted if you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Well, I know that my PCP totally missed some of the malnutrition.  She never would've ordered the blood test for vitamin D deficiency, if the naturopath hadn't have asked for it.  That's when we found out that I have iron deficiency anemia and I'm severely vitamin D deficient.  I wonder why she didn't order tests for vitamin D before?  She tested for only some of the things that you mentioned, but she didn't test all of them.  I think that she should.

What are the tests that would indicate low levels of vitamin A?  I have been reading information about Keratosis Pilaris, which I've been told that I have, and how they are finding that people are low on vitamin A.  Not as severely as anyone in third world countries might have, mind you.  Someone on that other forum wanted to argue about how KP is ONLY genetic, when the person bringing forth the information was only bringing forth applicable nutritional information that I've heard about with the other issues that I'm dealing with, which makes me want to just test the vitamin A, too, to be on the safe side.  I'm not about to supplement vitamin A, without proper directions, because I have also read about the dangers of vitamin A toxicity.  I strongly suspect that the truth about whether it's only genetic or only nutritionally related lies somewhere in between.  

I'm fortunate that my KP is the KP alba, meaning that I don't have the red and purple discolorations.  I have that irritating systemic rash and irritation that I suspect is related to vitamin B6 allergy, but my KP doesn't usually have ANY discoloration, just the bumps and plugs.

First of all I have not heard of any vit deficiency to be the cause of keratosis pilaris alba. It is postulated that Keratosis pilaris occurs when the human body produces excess keratin, a natural protein in the skin. The excess keratin surrounds and entraps the hair follicles in the pore.So far the genetic basis of keratosis pilaris has been proven.

But if you want to get yourself tested for vit A deficiency then you can go in for levels of retinol(pure vitamin A) in the blood or RBP-EIA (retinol-binding protein-enzyme immunoassay).Pls discuss these options with your doctor.

Hope it helps.Take care and pls do keep me posted in case you have any additional queries.Kind regards.

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.