Allergy Community

swollen lips

I recently went on vacation and was fine until I went snorkelling. Once I went into the salt water my bottom inside  lip began to tingle and has been sore sine. I went back into the sea a couple of days later to swim with the sea turtles and now my bottom lip is really swollen and is white inside, has anyone had this before?
Thanks for writing to the forum!
You are either suffering from contact dermatitis or from allergy to some food or sea material. You must get an allergy test done, either a skin test or RAST, to know what you are allergic to.

• Weak acid solutions [lemon juice, vinegar] can be used to counteract the effects of dermatitis contracted by exposure to basic irritants [phenol etc.].
• If blistering develops, cold moist compresses applied for 30 minutes 3 times a day can offer relief.
• Calamine lotion and cool colloidal oatmeal baths may relieve itching.
• Oral antihistamines such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl, Ben-Allergin) can also relieve itching.
• For mild cases that cover a relatively small area, hydrocortisone cream in nonprescription strength may be sufficient.
• Avoid scratching, as this can cause secondary infections.
Refer: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Contact_dermatitis#Treatment
It is difficult to comment beyond this at this stage, without examining the lip. Do consult a skin specialist. Please let me know if there is any thing else and do keep me posted. Take care!

Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.