Allergy Community

titanium/vanadium/aluminum dental implant

Eleven months ago I had a titanium alloy dental implant along with a sinus lift and bovine bone graft.  The surgery was successful and the implant has since integrated with the bone.  One to two months after the surgery I started having cramps in the lower extremities that progressed to constant aching in the feet and knees.  Five months after the implant I elected to have the swine flu vaccination which resulted in a numb feeling and tingling in the extremities along with diarrhea and dizziness that subsided after a few days.  Since then the tingling has combined with the aching in the lower extremities and progressed upward to include the thighs.  Exercise makes all of the symptoms worse, as I experience severe aching and muscle twitching after any kind of physical activity.  A MRI of the brain and neck revealed increased areas of signal in the brain not consistent with ms.  Blood tests suggest autoimmune disfunction (positive ana, antithyroid antibodies, high IgG for parvovirus and EBV and CMV without being conclusive of connective tissue or thyroid disease.  A cone beam ct scan revealed an inflammatory process in the sinus above the implant and apical periodontal inflammation on the tooth behind the implant which was also giving me night fevers.  I have since had the root canal retreated on the tooth that was being blamed for my mouth discomfort.  This has resulted in a 100% improvement in the pain and feverish feeling emanating from THAT tooth, but I still have an strange irritating sensation emanating from the implant that extends to the cheek, nostril, and eye above the implant.  I have a feeling the implant is the cause of the mouth trouble and wondering if it is the cause of my neurological symptoms as well.  My physical activity has been reduced to a minimum compared to the level of physical activity previous to the surgery.  I wonder if the implant does not show the typical symptoms of rejection because of nightly bronchial and nasal steroid inhalations.  The implant looks good on scans and xrays.  I am not so good.  I am living a life of an inactive person because I have no tolerance for exercise.  I love to exercise and my dogs need a walk!!!  Today I went for a lower back MRI and had a hard time holding still because of feeling crampy and cold.

All of the docs say it is a coincidence that any of my problems started shortly after receiving the implant.  I have sent blood in for the Melisa test, but wonder if a reaction will show being I was not able to refrain from using inhalers for five days.  The implant has adhered to the bone and looks "perfect".  I am ready to get it out and praying I can return to my normal level of activity.  Is there anyone out there with some information that could help?

Am I the only one????  I don't think the ADA or the implant manufacturers want to investigate the possibility of this lucrative procedure being a problem for anyone, so it is hard to find any data supporting my suspicion.  

Thanks.
We cannot get a dentist to remove them without a Doctor agreeing the implants are the reason for his health decline... which is crazy because he has had every test done and nothing shows up...they did remove his dental embutments which are the screws that were attaching some dentures.. perhaps this will elevated some symptoms . WE will be hard pressed to find a doctor to admit titanium can cause any auto immune response. Thank you I will look for a Biological Dentist....I wish you the Best of Luck and will pray for your mother in law,
Mary
Dear Terry,
We saw his dentist today and he told us that he would not recommend this given my fathers age 87, the procedure is to evasive...which is confusing because they put them in at 86...in any case he suggested removing the screws with were holding dentures in ...perhaps this may help ..suggested we take it one step at a time...the surgery to remove them entails cutting them out of the bone and its difficult...any advice would be greatly appreciated...or any dentist in the Upstate New York area...
thanks so much for caring,
Mary
I was diagnosed with Lyme 25 years ago after being bitten by hundreds of deer ticks. I recovered but after the dental implants were installed I started experiencing the same symptoms as Lyme but never tested positive again for Lyme. Coincidence?
I am also at "that age" so doctors chalk every symptom up to hormone issues. I do have to mention something here: having your immune system in overdrive can actually cause food allergies. So if you get all metal out of mouth and don't start getting better immediately you may have developed other allergies (to metal or food). Trying a full on elimination diet or some variation thereof (no milk for 2 weeks, no wheat for 2 weeks, etc) can help you pinpoint these. Or you can get an ELISA test. I had ELISA testing after my amalgams were removed and discovered MANY foods I had to avoid for a few years. So hang in there, remains bing the implants is the most important first step, but it might no be the only step.
Mary ,
Feel free to email me.
terrybrown12ataoldotcom
There is one doctor in New York and if your Dad can travel I have 2 excellent ones here in California.
Mary,
my understanding is that there is a tool and technique that makes it relatively easy to remove the implants.  Dr. Mehta (ocendo.com) in California has been using this tool for the removal of several implants with minimal damage and discomfort.  I think the tool is described here: http://www.oralhealthgroup.com/news/removing-implants-with-a-twist/1001738871/?&er=NA
I know of a dentist in upstate NY but he is quite a distance from you, being in the Saratoga area. Have you tried Hal Huggins website or Mercola's? They probably have links to biological dentists. If I recall, there may be one in the Rochester area.
This group will also send you a list of biological dentists in your area if you ask them: http://amalgam.org/
My son had his implants removed by his oral surgeon in Oct.2014. He had implant surgery March 2012. In sept. He started having all these strange symptoms, bladder symptoms, frequency of urination and bladder pain, anxiety, headaches. He has been to urologists, had a cystoscope. Dr. Said thought could be related to nerve in his body causing it. Has had Ct scans, Mri of brain, everything came back normal. He had nausea too. Went to Gi Dr. Had a colonoscopy and endoscopy and ck out normal too. Since he has had them removed his headaches is gone but still has bladder issues and 2 weeks ago joint pain and numbness in his feet. He still has a lot of anxiety and worrying he has M.S. I feel so helpless as a Mom and trying to be supportive but thought having his implants removed would help. He is 26 yrs. old he is too young and married to be sick. Dr. Should he get tested for metal toxcitity? I'm thinking metal is still in his system. I would appreciate any help!!
My advice would be to see a naturopath or functional medicine MD and start healing the body.
I was 60 percent better after the removal of my implants and it was a long journey to regain my health. I have to do so much to stay well. I eat a diet that supports good gut and brain health and I see a natural specialist monthly to stay on top of things.
I think there can be underlying issues and the titanium implant can set them off. Also I do believe metal poisoning is a culprit too.
I do not have all the answers but following protocols that are alternative to cure auto immune diseases really do help! (even if you aren't diagnosed with one)
These days I am all about keeping my gut healthy, detoxing out crap, and not letting any more crap in. (Gmo foods,Non organic foods, no vaccines, flu shots....)

Am I the rock star example of great health? No, but I am doing very well and it took a long time to get here and it is continuous work.
I highly suggest the book Brain Maker and Grain Brain. Eliminating Sugar and Gluten from my diet has made a HUGE difference!
Most folks need to replace good gut bacteria which helps the body to begin the healing process. Probiotics, prebiotics and fermented food are great.

I hope this helps a little.

All the best to your son.
Terry  
I can second every thing you just said. As well as I did after my implant removal, I am finding it really important to follow up with proper maintenance. I've just found a really good integrative doctor two weeks ago who has laid out a great program for me. We've started with supplements and vitamins that will slowly start removing some metals from my system, and starting the first week of September my silver/mercury fillings will be replaced one at a time, then a gold crown, to get all the metal out of my mouth. I've started on probiotics as well. My doctor says it is possible my body could eventually chelate on it's own. If not we can try using natural products, and if that does not work probably go to the I.V. chelation. This all can sound like a lot, it's pretty basic stuff once you look into it all, and it is extremely important.
I am so glad to hear all you are doing!
You will reap the benifits!
It is good to get the mercury out too and done safely it is worth doing.
My downfall was them all coming out in one day, a mouthful, and the dentist did not use a rubber dam. He was a holistic dentist too!!!
He did fill them with a good material too, that you need to research.I'm not sure what it is called.
Terry  
Is there a dentist online on this forum ?
Sorry i posted this question on the wrong forum... .
I have had a meeting with a holistic dentist and felt very comfortable with his methods and the materials he will use to replace the silver fillings in September (and I don't recall what it is off the top of my head).

Terry did you go through any chelation?
Check out Andrew Cultlers methods. I think he has the most sound method.
I never went through IV chelating because according to the Cultler's method it can redistribute mercury to other organs and make you worse.
To do the cultler protocol you must have no mercury in anywhere and unfortunately I still have crowns that were bonded with mercury.
I am assuming and hoping that most of the mercury in my body has exited bit by bit with my healthy eating and supplements.
He has a few books and a very extensive developed on line support group.
Thank you Terry for all your helpful info. My son doesn't have any silver fillings And always been healthy guy until had implants in. We are definitely making appointment with naturalpath Dr.  My son has been trying to eat healthy, gluten free and drinking organic juicing. The only thing he has lost about 15 lbs. His normal weight is usually 170 lbs and he is 6'0 tall. Thank you for all your encouraging words!! I'm praying in time he will be back to his normal self.
Thanks for that info Terry.

How do you find out if you have mercury in your body, and is it possible to figure out where? We are at a point where we are trying to decide which method(s) to use to test for metal and mercury toxicity.

When you say your crowns are bonded with mercury, could you explain what that means and if there's anything that can be done about that? I have three silver fillings we are going to replace in September, and then a gold crown. I also have three other crowns, and based on my health, we might consider pulling those crowns off to see if there's silver under them, the biological dentist I saw said some dentist leave silver under crowns.

I do not like the idea of the I.V. chelation, I see a lot of raving about the wonders it does, but I also see a lot of warnings about the problems it can cause. The integrative doctor I'm seeing believes we can chelate naturally, I guess with supplements and proper dieting, and hopefully not have to ever consider the I.V. method.

Thanks again for the info, and I will check into Andrew Cultlers.
I have been metal tested through urine testing and saliva testing. The AC protocol goes into great depth on this.

The best way to tell if you are metal overloaded is symptoms. I read up on all of this so much and there were conflicting views on testing methods as well the most safe and proper detox.

I found Andrew Cutlers protocol to be the most thought out researched based out there but also a bit of  trip down the rabbit hole!

It is my understanding that the silver used to bond the crowns often has mercury in it. So if you are detoxing mercury from your system it will leach out from the crowns and fillings and re deposite elsewhere in your body. Most certainly all of your crowns were bonded with silver unless you had one of the few no metal dentist in the country place your crowns.

I believe my body has cleared the majority of the metals out through supplements and diet.
If I had continued to be ill the next step for me would have been removing the crowns I had left and then doing Cutlers protocol. But thankfully that does not seem needed.  I have spent a fortune on the work I have already had done and if my funds were unlimted I would remove the crowns but it's not in the budget now!    
Thanks for the response, it will help guide me once again. It is amazing how much all of this work costs. I have two dental policies, both of which help very little.
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.