Allergy Community

titanium/vanadium/aluminum dental implant

Eleven months ago I had a titanium alloy dental implant along with a sinus lift and bovine bone graft.  The surgery was successful and the implant has since integrated with the bone.  One to two months after the surgery I started having cramps in the lower extremities that progressed to constant aching in the feet and knees.  Five months after the implant I elected to have the swine flu vaccination which resulted in a numb feeling and tingling in the extremities along with diarrhea and dizziness that subsided after a few days.  Since then the tingling has combined with the aching in the lower extremities and progressed upward to include the thighs.  Exercise makes all of the symptoms worse, as I experience severe aching and muscle twitching after any kind of physical activity.  A MRI of the brain and neck revealed increased areas of signal in the brain not consistent with ms.  Blood tests suggest autoimmune disfunction (positive ana, antithyroid antibodies, high IgG for parvovirus and EBV and CMV without being conclusive of connective tissue or thyroid disease.  A cone beam ct scan revealed an inflammatory process in the sinus above the implant and apical periodontal inflammation on the tooth behind the implant which was also giving me night fevers.  I have since had the root canal retreated on the tooth that was being blamed for my mouth discomfort.  This has resulted in a 100% improvement in the pain and feverish feeling emanating from THAT tooth, but I still have an strange irritating sensation emanating from the implant that extends to the cheek, nostril, and eye above the implant.  I have a feeling the implant is the cause of the mouth trouble and wondering if it is the cause of my neurological symptoms as well.  My physical activity has been reduced to a minimum compared to the level of physical activity previous to the surgery.  I wonder if the implant does not show the typical symptoms of rejection because of nightly bronchial and nasal steroid inhalations.  The implant looks good on scans and xrays.  I am not so good.  I am living a life of an inactive person because I have no tolerance for exercise.  I love to exercise and my dogs need a walk!!!  Today I went for a lower back MRI and had a hard time holding still because of feeling crampy and cold.

All of the docs say it is a coincidence that any of my problems started shortly after receiving the implant.  I have sent blood in for the Melisa test, but wonder if a reaction will show being I was not able to refrain from using inhalers for five days.  The implant has adhered to the bone and looks "perfect".  I am ready to get it out and praying I can return to my normal level of activity.  Is there anyone out there with some information that could help?

Am I the only one????  I don't think the ADA or the implant manufacturers want to investigate the possibility of this lucrative procedure being a problem for anyone, so it is hard to find any data supporting my suspicion.  

Thanks.
A book that has been recommended to me as well is one called "Mercury Detoxification Simplified" by a guy named William Rasmussen.
thanks! I will check it out!
What vitamins and supplements do you take to remove metals from your body?  I have written a post about my son and terrybrown responded. Any advice you can give me I would appreciate. Thank you!
I saw where you had posted to terry brown you take supplements and vitamins to remove metal from your body. I had written a post to terrybrown about my son and his struggles. What kind of supplants and vitamins do you take? I would appreciate any helpful info you can give.
I can share with you what my doctor has put me on, and that in no way should be taken as a program anybody and everybody should start in order to start removing metals from their system. My best advice is to seek a holistic/biological/integrative/alternative doctor in your area and get specific advice for your specific case.

The program I have started will remove very little metal overall as it stands, but you have to start slow, removing too much too fast is very dangerous. So none of this stuff is going to work any miracles, it just gets the ball rolling. We are replacing my silver/mercury fillings in September, and we have to start with this slow and simple process ahead of time. Once the fillings are removed and my body adjusts to metals being removed, we will eventually get more aggressive.

Eventually we will move to chelating, at first just taking pills for that, and hopefully that's all that's needed. There is a very aggressive chelation method where they inject some synthetic agent into your body via I.V. that can be used as a last resort if natural methods don't work, but it is something you really need to learn about before considering trying.

For now I am just taking vitamin E, vitamin C, a multi-mineral supplement called Nutrient 950, Selenium, Chlorella, mixing cilantro into a pesto that I take every day, a small amount of MSM powder, Co Q 10, glutathione, magnesium citrate, ther-biotic detox support.....

Again that is just what my doctor has put me on and in no way is a suggestion that anyone else should start taking these things.

There is an organization called Dental Amalgam Mercury Solutions, you can do a Google search for them and find them. You can get in touch with them and request a list of holistic etc doctors in your area that can directly help you.  If you Google "heavy metal detox" you can learn more about the processes and the things used. I'm just getting started in this, I don't know much about it. Best of luck to you and to everybody in overcoming these problems.
the reason testing for metals in the body has detractors and supporters is because testing of blood and urine for metals just shows load, not response. The presence of metals in the body doesn't necessarily cause health problems. In fact, metals have probably always been in our bodies to a certain degree but we have been able to chelate them put through diet. In Mexico where heavy silver mining was done, cilantro was eaten in abundance to naturally chelate mercury from the body as it was being absorbed during mining. (Mercury co-exists with silver in nature.) (I've had great results with cilantro pesto made with raw Brazil nuts-source of selenium- and a few other ingredients.)
So testing for presence of metals may not be suitable. Some authorities also disagree on whether testing for ANTIBODIES to the metals is valid but I feel this is the only appropriate method. If your MELISA test shows antibodies then the metal should be removed in entirety- at least a few years or until the sensitivity has disappeared. Ideally, the metal should never be laced again as the tendency to be a allergic has a higher chance of returning. After removal, symptoms can remain because molecules of metal are still present (need to chelate) or the immune system still stays ramped up (whole body wellness protocol). Don't forget that while the immune system was in overdrive you may have also become allergic to other metals (gold, silver, nickel) that weren't even part of the implants or to certain foods (dairy, wheat, eggs, etc) or other substances (MSG, Sodium Lauth Sulfate, perfumes, dyes, etc) so ELISA testing may be necessary if your symptoms don't quickly improve.
I'm waiting now on my MELISA test results for implants.
Best of health to everyone.
How do you know if your MELISA test shows antibodies? I'll have to find my results from the test and look, I don't even recall how the results were presented.
Thank you for your info and resources. My daughter is also a dentist and made him app. With biological dentist who she is friends with. Praying and hoping he helps and on the road to recovery!! My best to you !!
Thank you for the info and resources!! My daughter is also a dentist had made him app. With biological dentist who she is friends with. My best to you!!
Vicki I read where you use cilantro/raw Brazil pesto. Does this Brazil pesto come in a jar?  I shop at Kroger. Where can I get this Heath food stores or whole foods?  I wrote a post about my son and his struggles having implants in and removed October 2013. Sadly he is having numbness, tingling, in his feet and joint pain off and on. Bladder issues, urinary frequency and bladder pain off and on. Was hoping he would improve after implant removal!! Has a app. With biological dentist. Hoping and praying he will improve and he can help. My son has always been healthy until he had his implants put in. Have you improved, I have read your posts. Wish you the best!!
Does anybody know a doctor in NYC who could order melisa testing?
Results are presented with metal and whether positive or negative. My doc accidentally ordered amalgam/crown test the first time. Ugh, except I discovered I'm allergic to gold. I'm waiting for results on implant test now.
I have had an album fillings in the majority of my teeth since high school. I have quite a few med allergies and numerous med intolerance and quite a few food allergies and intolerance. I have osteoarthritis everywhere, that started in 1979 and progressed steadily. So far I've had two hip replacements and my back is a mess. I start having severe anxiety and depression in high school and I am a complete mess now with no help in sight. I mentioned about the mercury to my dentist years ago but he just laughed. I think I was right, just this year I have had three abscesses in the last six months. I am very concerned about my mental health and becoming paralyzed because of apathy of the medical community here when there was no need of it. I wish I knew how to get some treatment when I just have to keep waiting and suffering.
Go to MELISA.ORG and send them email asking about any local doctor who can order test for you. I live in Virginia and there were no doctors in my state who could order the test. They gave me names and numbers of 3 doctors around the U.S. that do phone consults and order the test to be drop-shipped to you. The only one I could get through to was Gloria Hyzer in Wisconsin and she has been very responsive. I also discovered that very few facilities will do blood draws for outside companies so check around before you drive to your local Labcorp or Quest Diagnostics. They don't do blood draws, nor Patient first or Medic One. I DID find a HCA emergency center that DOES do the blood draw ($25). Also, MELISA.ORG has a map that will show you labs close to you that do blood draws but call them to make sure they still do draws for outside testing facilities.
Best of health.
A link to a Cilantro Pesto recipe:
https://ybertaud9.wordpress.com/2012/04/07/cilantro-pesto-removes-heavy-metals-health-benefits/
I have never seen it in a jar but you never know what you'll find these days. I usually go to a bulk food section of a good store and buy exactly how much I need of each item. I eat a heaping teaspoon each day on a cracker, chew really fast and swallow. (I hate the taste of oil.) It does work. After I had my amalgams removed I ate this daily for 6 months and the underside of my tongue eventually went from black back to a healthy pink. Salsa packed with cilantro is also great but this choice not for people who still have amalgams as the acidity releases more Mercury from fillings.
Best of health.
You may want to try "oil swishing" - mix some melted coconut oil (not too hot) and add some cinnamon oil or peppermint flavoring (all the above can be found at Walmart) and swish like mouthwash for 15 minutes or as long as you can stand. This is supposed to help ALL mouth and gum problems. The coconut oil is antibacterial, anti fungal and will even whiten teeth. For me this helps with the jaw pain, the sore spots on the inside of my cheeks and the general taste of metal in my mouth. I'm not suggesting this is going to solve your problems - it won't but it help with your symptoms until you get some kind of resolution with the teeth. If you are getting infections or running fevers you can swish with colloidal silver (I swallow after swishing) a few times a day. Commercial colloidal silver is expensive so if at all possible make your own for about 5 cents a gallon. Some companies use salt which is not colloidal silver. If you can't/ won't make your own email me at Vicki.***@**** and send me your address and I will send you a bottle.
Best of health.
My son also had a bone graft, I'm not sure what kind of material he used. You mentioned they used a synthetic material for your bone graft. Do you know if oral surgeons use different materials. I'm worried that when my son had his implants removed the oral surgeon used a material that could have triggered his symptoms to get worse. Terry thankyou for all your info and being so helpful! My son has app. End of August with naturopath/ biologist dentist. Hopefully he can help and start healing his body. We have been thru alot my husband has been diagnosed with stage 4 appendix Cancer year and half ago and liost my Dad 2 weeks later. my son and Daugter did research and found a surgical oncologist specialist that saved his life. My husband is well,athough he is not Cancer free yet his ct scan is stable. My son and my husband is real close, losing his grandfather and having his own health issues since he had them removed it has been difficult!! Keeping the faith!!
I am sorry to hear of all your family is going through.
I really dont have any advice or information about the bone graft.
Has your son had any vaccinations (flu shot, tentanus) lately?
Has he been on many antibiotics?
No he hasn't ever had a flu shot. He hadn't had a tetanus since high school. I think one antibiotic last winter.
That's good, I have been studying up on the ingredients in vaccines and that can be troublesome. Sending good thoughts your way!
Find out what causes asthma, and how to take control of your symptoms.
Find out if your city is a top "allergy capital."
Find out which foods you should watch out for.
If you’re one of the 35 million Americans who suffer from hay fever, read on for what plants are to blame, where to find them and how to get relief.
Allergist Dr. Lily Pien answers Medhelp users' most pressing allergy-related questions
When you start sniffling and sneezing, you know spring has sprung. Check out these four natural remedies to nix spring allergies.