Alternative Therapies Community
542 Members

Is Omega 3 safe for diabetics

Is Omega 3 safe for diabetics?
I have read this anti-soy stuff for over three decades now, as I was in the health food biz as a store manager for 18 years.  I can tell you it was all started by the same people who came out with the "Beef: it's what's for dinner" ads, which are paid for partly by the Dept. of Agriculture, just as the milk ads are.  I don't doubt the theoretical questions raised about soy.  What you won't find in any of the research is any of those consequences tied to actual human ingestion.  There's someone on this board, and who knows, it might be you, who is extremely anti-soy and we have been going back and forth on this for a long time now.  All I ask is for a large study of Asians, who eat soy sometimes three times a day, mostly tofu, and don't suffer any of these problems from it as far as we know.  The only questions have been raised in the US, where soy is a challenge to meat as a protein source.  And again, soy doesn't contain estrogen.  It is estrogenic, which is completely different.  That generally means that the body might make more estrogen from the food, but only if the body sees a need for it.  And again, since flax and soy have been associated, rightly or wrongly, with increased prostate cancer, if they were in fact creating more estrogen, that should reduce prostate cancer.  What you also have to consider is that people who replace meat with soy in their diets generally become healthier, cutting down on cancer and heart disease especially, the two greatest killers in western society.  We know that overconsumption of meat will increase these diseases, as well as inflammatory diseases such as arthritis.  So you're completely ignoring all the positive studies of the benefits of soy and flax and only talking about the negative, which weren't learned through double blind studies or long-term nutrient intake studies but are based on theoretical concerns due to certain ingredients in the foods.  Now, I personally don't care what people eat as long as they exercise balance and caution.  I do use soy milk and I do eat tofu products, but not every day, and I avoid the soy derivatives because I don't think they're good for you.  The same people who tell you not to eat soy generally say it's okay to eat fermented soy, such as tempeh and miso, which leads one to wonder, since they are also estrogenic.  So again, there's reality, and there's theory, and the theory of soy being bad for people has not yet moved from the theoretical to the actual, and the balance of scientific opinion is way over on the positive side.  As for the huge switch in agriculture to soy, yes, that's true, but it's not for consumption in the US, it's almost all sold to China, Japan, Vietnam, Thailand, etc. where soy is the staple food and people have fewer health problems than Americans of the nature you're describing.  Those problems do go up, however, if they move to the US and switch to a more western diet, meaning more meat.  Again, I don't recommend anyone go out and go nuts on eating soy, I'm not a vegan or vegetarian, I believe in balance, but I'm also wary of these scare stories that don't match the facts on the ground.  I would always eat organic if I could, and I would always try and avoid overly processed food of any type, and I would try not to eat the same food over and over.  Soy is a common allergen, so there's that as well.  There are also a lot of legumes out there, that, when combined with a whole grain, provide a whole protein, so there's no need for anyone to think soy is necessary for health.  It isn't.
Welcome to the forum.

Directly I do not see any interaction that has to do with diabetes.
The long term effects are that the omega 3 to omega 6 ratio will be improved and consequently less inflammation and better health.
We normally consume way too much omega 6 through our diets.
Make sure that the omega 3 is not from flax, as it is inflammatory and dangerous. ( Most Doctors do not know this, yet! ) . Best is from small cold water fish oil-sardines, anchovies.

Blessings
Nikodicreta
Have no idea where this idea of flax seed oil comes from -- would like to hear more.  Awful lot of people eating flax seeds for the last several thousand years for this to suddenly come up, but I'm open to new info if you have it.  What is true is that the Omega 3 in flax seed oil is different from that in fish oil, and flax seed oil contains more than just omega 3 oils, whereas most fish oil is artificially purified to eliminate many other beneficial oils that would also be a fish.  Since you can get cold processed organically grown flax, whereas fish are contaminated pretty much everywhere now, and for vegetarians, flax is a good source of oil, but for a diabetic, fish oil probably would be a good choice.  Hemp seed oil is another good source of omega 3 fats.  Not only should this be safe for diabetics, your doctor would probably recommend it, since it helps the heart and helps with circulation.
Meaning omega 3 oils, not necessarily one particular source of it.  But just to add, high lignan flax oil also helps with other aspects of diabetes, including digestion.  Which is to say, one should seldom rely on just one source for nutrients.
Okay, I googled flax oil myself.  Apparently, one book by one person claims that the ALA in flax oil isn't converted efficiently in some people, and that it may be connected to other illnesses.  This isn't proven info, but it is out there, and so should be considered seriously.  Personally, I take a small amount of flax oil every day and a lot of fish oil, so I'm not personally concerned.  I guess we all have some research to do.  But again, the oils in flax have always been different than the oil in fish.  Just for everyone's info, there's a relatively new fish oil in town, by New Chapter, that doesn't purify the oil.  It claims to be more like a cold processed oil.  Therefore, it contains many omega oils other than just the two found in other purified fish oil products, because fish naturally, like flax and hemp, contains lots of different fats.  Food certainly is complicated, particularly when you consider all fish is contaminated with heavy metals thanks to coal burning.  What a world.
Thank you for the information. you mention that the omega from flax is dangerous. I take flaxseed everyday with my yogurt. Why is it bad?
Many couples are turning to acupuncture to treat infertility. But does it work? We take a closer look.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Learn ow this ancient healing Indian medicine can work for you
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste