Alternative Therapies Community
541 Members

medical marijuana n depression

ok i know marijuana is a downer type of drug,but instead of takin antipsychotics n antidepressants will smoking help with someone with bipolar disorder....or is there a specific kinda bipolar that could tolerate it better than other diff stages of bipolar? i know its a stupid question n noone should do drugs but im a curious human being ya kno.
I feel anytime you start "self-medicating" you start out on a very slippery slope and it's only spirals down from there.  You'll reach a point where you will need to increase whatever you're self-medicating with, and eventually have more problems than you started out with.  I think you're better off to stick with the experts and do what they feel is best for you.  Take care!
Marijuana is a depressant, and has a tendancey exacberate any symptoms you have.  My personal opinion, it will make things worse as seen in my own family with my daughter.
well it was just a question. i'm neither of those but i know and have acquaintances that r bipolar n uses.....n ur right self medicating is a bad way to cure urself. were not doctors for a reason. i dont understand wat makes someone get addicted to anything tho....its mind boggling....
I tried to self-medicate with alcohol. Then I started considering pain killers. At that point I realized that I was going down that slope and decided to talk to my doctor.

I tried marijuana in my teens, and it only made me anxious/borderline paranoid, so I haven't touched it since.
A study has revealed that cannabis taken in small dose does not cause depression but in higher dose will tend to cause depression and/or aggravating depression. From my own personal point of view the study was not significant because of the lack of samples (people) and experiences based on mice. In another study cannabis could produce schizophrenia or be the onset of schizophrenia in individuals prone to schizophrenia.

M4
I used to be an every day weed smoker and quit back in Jan.  I can tell you for me, it made me feel a hundred times worse in all respects.  Horrible increase in anxiety - especially while high, then extremely depressed the next day and several days after.  IMO - it's not a good idea if one suffers with any kind of emotional problem.  

After not smoking for 6mos, I've felt the need to test myself twice in the last few weeks and the depression it brings on is horrendous!  

"I dont understand wat makes someone get addicted to anything tho....its mind boggling..."

People get addicted to substances because they feel so awful either emotionally or physically or both and they will do anything to feel better.  No one *means* to get addicted.  Clearly, you feel pretty well emotionally - you are very lucky and I mean that sincerely.  
to M4YOU
wow thats some information........alot of people say it makes them relaxed. i understand that doctors use marijuane for those that have eating disorders....and sleeping problems.

to Jade59
what do u mean u felt the need to test urself. do u mean uve tried to smoke?
i kno some ppl can be pretty agressive due to paranoia. but ive also met with older ppl that were/are still users and they lived some amazing lives and have some happy families and no signs of any emotional distress..how can anyone explain that? can there be functioning smokers
Yes it can work really good as a relaxer but note that adequate dosing is the key. Activating the CB1 receptors (cannabinoid) by smoking weed decreases the release of GABA. Drugs that act as agonists of GABA receptors (known as GABA analogues or GABAergic drugs) or increase the available amount of GABA typically have relaxing, anti-anxiety and anti-convulsive effects. So there's a paradox here. I think relatively small amount could have relaxing proprieties without having anxiety symptoms attributed to the lower GABA actvity.

M4
when i first read your post i was lost hehe, CB1 n GABA i was thinkin what the hell is all that jabber hehe. i understand tho, well sorta, but for the most part i comprehend. so ok what are the withdrawl symptoms of a user that used everyday every hour for 8 years. and when i mean everyday i mean no breaks in between, and smoked at least as soon as the high started to diminish
Withdrawal could include high irritability and various other psychological symptoms. Pain perception can also be increased.

M4
Yeah, I'd stay away from marijuana.. I caused me a nervous breakdown once and I don't think it is a good solution honestly. But then again I'm against all drugs. Stay as clean as possible, that's my advice!
I just meant I've smoked twice in the last couple of weeks.  Had the same negative effect as always.  
Many couples are turning to acupuncture to treat infertility. But does it work? We take a closer look.
Is treating glaucoma with marijuana all hype, or can hemp actually help?
If you think marijuana has no ill effects on your health, this article from Missouri Medicine may make you think again.
Healing home remedies for common ailments
Learn ow this ancient healing Indian medicine can work for you
Before your drop a dime at the pharmacy, find out if these popular cold and flu home remedies are a wonder or a waste