Alzheimer's Disease Community
476 Members

Devastated

My mum has been diagnosed with alzheimers and parkingson deseas, it has devasted the whole family. i keep ringing her all the time and feel that perhaps i need to let her be to get used to it herself. my dad told me in a confidential phonecall that he doesnt know how hes going to cope when the deseases progress. i live 200 miles away from them and i wish to god i lived close, if not for anything else, just to hug them but i dont think i would let go and probably end up suffocating them. the pills arent working and some days my mum doesnt even want to get out of bed. What should i do and how can i help best without smothering them both????????????????
It sounds like your mom might be depressed. I think I'd be depressed with those two diagnoses.
How old are your parents?
My step-dad had parkinson's disease and it was bad for him. He also had rheumatoid arthritis and a bunch of other problems so that didn't help.

Do you know what stage she's in?
I am unsure what stage she is in but my mum is only 70, its hard to know what to do or how to deal with my mum, i want her to just be happy and know that im there for her. i told my dad the other day that he should let her do as much as possible herself because it would help her keep motivated but obviously he needs to keep a watchful eye on her. was that the right thing to say?
Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life