A
A
A
Close
Alzheimer's Disease Community
476 Members
759062 tn?1234254793

Devastated

My mum has been diagnosed with alzheimers and parkingson deseas, it has devasted the whole family. i keep ringing her all the time and feel that perhaps i need to let her be to get used to it herself. my dad told me in a confidential phonecall that he doesnt know how hes going to cope when the deseases progress. i live 200 miles away from them and i wish to god i lived close, if not for anything else, just to hug them but i dont think i would let go and probably end up suffocating them. the pills arent working and some days my mum doesnt even want to get out of bed. What should i do and how can i help best without smothering them both????????????????
2 Responses
It sounds like your mom might be depressed. I think I'd be depressed with those two diagnoses.
How old are your parents?
My step-dad had parkinson's disease and it was bad for him. He also had rheumatoid arthritis and a bunch of other problems so that didn't help.

Do you know what stage she's in?
759062 tn?1234254793
I am unsure what stage she is in but my mum is only 70, its hard to know what to do or how to deal with my mum, i want her to just be happy and know that im there for her. i told my dad the other day that he should let her do as much as possible herself because it would help her keep motivated but obviously he needs to keep a watchful eye on her. was that the right thing to say?
Have an Answer?
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life