Alzheimer's Disease Community
477 Members

aspiration pneumonia

My father is in the end stage of dementia. He doesn't walk, speak, and has to be fed, although he can hold a cup. He has had several episodes of projectile vomiting, which, I feel is due to a blockage somewhere. He is on comfort care only. The other day, he had an episode of projectile vomiting, and swallowed some. He had a fever of 103+, which came down in 2 days. He also had fluid in both lungs. He was given oxygen, which was taken off as his saturation reached 94%. How can someone in this stage recover so quickly? Will these episodes continue? How long can someone live in this state? I live in another state, and I feel that my life is somewhat on hold, depending on what happens with him. Thank you very much.
Ive been wondering the same thing. My grandmother has had dementia for 15 years. In her present state, she just lies on this bed/chair thing. In her present state she has had aspiration pnemonia, regular pnemonia, cancer, and several small strokes. I expected her to go a long time ago but now according to the nursing home, she is completely healthy
Could our telomeres hold the key to curing cancer and preventing aging? Learn more in this article from Missouri Medicine.
Think a loved one may be experiencing hearing loss? Here are five warning signs to watch for.
How to lower your heart attack risk.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Protect against the leading cause of blindness in older adults
Keep your bones strong and healthy for life