Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Community
630 Members

ALS - speech clarity & swallowing issues?

My mother died in 2011 of ALS at 74.  I recognized her speech changes (sounded like she'd had a glass or two of wine) perhaps a year before she admitted or realized what she had.

Over the past 6-8 months, I will "'mis-swallow" at least once per meal, get food in my windpipe, and have to cough considerably to clear it.  Simultaneously, I occasionally find it hard to read out-loud without tangling up the words - talking is often the same way.

Is ALS hereditary enough to be concerned?  I'm 52.

My brother had ALS.  We both studied it a lot .  Hereditary is not a big factor, unless you see it a lot of other family members. Even then it was very rare.  He drop things a lot and would joke every time I dropped something.  Don't fixate on symptoms.  Good luck
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease