Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis (ALS) Community
626 Members

ALS information/anxiety

Hi I'm 26, have one grandfather that had ALS with no other family members seen to be affected (Dad, uncle, 8 cousins). I recently started getting twtiches in both of my calves (although I seem to be focusing more on the left) that seem to be continual. This has been for the past week. I have had twitches in other parts of my body that are very much more sporadic (once a day). These areas would include knee, buttox, right arm, should, stomach, back, jaw.

I know that these could be symptoms of BFS but I just wanted to weigh in on an experts advice as I've had a ton of anxiety over this.

My grandfather was around 50 when the disease introduced itself and both my uncle and father are in their late 50's now.

Thanks!
Hi!
Apart from disc problems in the back and anxiety and panic attacks, muscle spasms can be due to several causes. Dehydration and electrolyte imbalance, muscle fatigue, pinched nerve due to wrong posture could be the cause in your case. Try and use the correct posture while sitting and walking and consult a physical therapist regarding some stretch exercises which you can perform to help relieve tension.
If this does not help, then I would suggest you get the blood levels of the following checked if they have not already been checked: potassium, calcium, sodium, magnesium, vitamin B complex, or vitamins B1, B3, or B6 and Vitamin D. Generally deficiencies of any of the above can cause muscle twitching and spasms in localized or generalized areas of the body. Get your kidney function, parathyroid gland function and adrenal function tests done because these affect the electrolyte balance in the body. Stress, alcohol, caffeine and fatigue all cause similar symptoms. Hence if you take alcohol or coffee then cut this down. Sleep at regular hours and see if it helps. Certain sleep disorders and peripheral nerve disorders due to diabetes, Lyme's, lupus or hypothyroidism can also be the cause.
Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please consult your doctor regarding this. Hope this helps. Take care!

The medical advice given should not be considered a substitute for medical care provided by a doctor who can examine you. The advice may not be completely correct for you as the doctor cannot examine you and does not know your complete medical history. Hence this reply to your post should only be considered as a guiding line and you must consult your doctor at the earliest for your medical problem.
Find out how beta-blocker eye drops show promising results for acute migraine relief.
In this special Missouri Medicine report, doctors examine advances in diagnosis and treatment of this devastating and costly neurodegenerative disease.
Here are 12 simple – and fun! – ways to boost your brainpower.
Discover some of the causes of dizziness and how to treat it.
Discover the common causes of headaches and how to treat headache pain.
Two of the largest studies on Alzheimer’s have yielded new clues about the disease