Aneurysm Community
605 Members

Aortic Aneurysm into Arch

I am a 65 yr. old female and in late June of 2009 had surgery for an aortic aneurysm that was into the arch.  I cannot remember the exact centimeters....it was well over 5.....and at my 2 wk. follow up visit with my cardiologist, he told me it was the biggest aneurysm he has seen in his career.  Obviously, I am very blessed to still be here.
My question is:  are there any drugs that can contribute to the development of an aneurysm?  I take quite a few for other conditions and have for years.  I take Neurontin (1800 mg/day for 10 years), Levoxyl (75mcg for about 15 years), Pristiq (started recently after I already had aneurysm), Clonazepam (3mg/day for 10 years), Simvastatin 40 mg/day (new med. when leaving hospital), Metoprolol (50mg/day) (new med when leaving hospital).  I also take a multi-vitaman and several natural supplements.  My cholesterol has always been very high and for some reason unknown to me, my former doctor didn't have me on any med. to lower it.  Also, I have smoked for the last 5 years and have recently quit.  I exercised regularly and had just lost 48 lbs. when my aneurysm was "accidently" diagnosed.  I would like to know if ANY MED I'm currently taking could contribute to the formation of another aneurysm.  Also, my job is extremely stressful and I am due to return to it Oct. 1.  Thank you very much
For what it's worth, I've never heard of any medication causing an aneurysm.  My understanding is that it's more of a genetic issue than anything else.  

If you already have an aneurysm or if you have a propensity to form aneurysms, then having uncontrolled high blood pressure can make the situation worse.  In that situation, you might be worse off if you DIDN'T take medication for your blood pressure.  
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
In this latest Missouri Medicine article, Richard J Weachter, MD, details the pros and cons of new blood thinner drug Dabigatran (Pradaxa).
Are there grounds to recommend coffee consumption? Recent studies perk interest.
Salt in food can hurt your heart.
Get answers to your top questions about this common — but scary — symptom
How to know when chest pain may be a sign of something else