Stress Test for Angina

I have been getting a tightness across my chest when I am exercising outside in the cold. The feeling makes me feel breathless and I also get a feeling in my throat,like heartburn. My arm starts to feel heavy too and I have to slow down and stop to get my breath and the pain / tightness slowly eases. Because of this I was sent for a stress test while hooked up to an ecg. This was in a warm room and I managed to complete it without any pains. Im confused now as it doesnt happen all the time but it is worse in cold weather. Could this be angina even though my ecg didnt show any problems with my heart? They said there was slight changes but nothing to be concerned about. What other tests should I ask for? They have suggested I take a beta blocker but I dont know why? Any help I would appreciate..
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
HI,
Beta-blockers block the action of the sympathetic nervous system of the heart, thus reducing stress on the heart. Doctors may prescribe beta-blockers for patients with tachycardia (rapid heart rates). They help patients with angina by lowering the amount of oxygen the heart muscles require. They also help patients with high blood pressure and migraines.
The answer is based on information provided. Exact advice is not possible without a proper examination and investigations. You are requested to consult your Doctor. Take care and keep us posted.
Helpful - 0
Thank you for your reply. I now have a GTN spray to use when I exercise and it stops any tightness/pain in chest and feel I have more breath and am able to do my exercise so much better. I have not been put on the Beta blocker just yet, Im to get further blood tests and referred back to cardiology if things dont improve.Im glad the GTN spray is allowing me to continue to exercise and stops my pain but worry that this means I have the start of narrowing arteries.    
Helpful - 0
Wondering now if this is linked to autonomic dysreflexia. Ive also got MS , mainly spinal cord lesions and now wondering if they are causing the problems.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Angina Community

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.