heart disease

What criteria does one use  to decide whether or not to have a defibrillator implanted. The percentage of my blood pumping ability is 36.
Sort by: Helpful Oldest Newest
I assume your EF (ejection fraction) is 36%.

I don't know so much about this, but I think defibrillators are used when dangerous arrhythmias are recorded, not so much depending on your EF. I think biventricular pacemakers are sometimes used with low EF, and I know they can be combined with a defibrillator. Anyway, it mostly depends on if you have dangerous (ventricular) arrhythmias.
Helpful - 0
Hi i can weigh in on this one too.....an ICD is as is_something_wrong used to correct a potentially dangerous arrythymia or irregular heart beat occurs and basically just re sets the electrical activity of the heart so that it corrects the situation.  It is kind of like that morning you woke up and the toast got stuck in the toaster and you weren't thinking and stuck the knife or fork in there and got that quick jolt.  That is exactly how the ICD is intended to work as the heart basically functions off of a very specific electrical pattern.  As my friend states if you are talking about the ejection fraction and the heart which is actually a pump is not correctly pumping out the blood into the body or into the heart  the way that its supposed to due to misfiring of the heart then an ICD would be called for.  This is one that takes a little more research on your part cosmin to see if this is right for you. It would help us if you noted what your final diagnosis was by your doc and why the EF is so low....let us know.....
Helpful - 0
Thanks for your input. My EF is low because i had a heart attack about 15 years ago. I do not have irregular heart beat just a low EF.
Helpful - 0

You are reading content posted in the Angina Community

Is a low-fat diet really that heart healthy after all? James D. Nicolantonio, PharmD, urges us to reconsider decades-long dietary guidelines.
Can depression and anxiety cause heart disease? Get the facts in this Missouri Medicine report.
Fish oil, folic acid, vitamin C. Find out if these supplements are heart-healthy or overhyped.
Learn what happens before, during and after a heart attack occurs.
What are the pros and cons of taking fish oil for heart health? Find out in this article from Missouri Medicine.
How to lower your heart attack risk.