Animal Health - General Forum

Any help for my elderly cat, with 0 appetite and losing weight fast.

I was not aware of this board.  I posted my question elsewhere, got some helpful advice, and also a link to here.  I will repost in full and add some new (from today) information at the end.

Actually, the post was much too long for this board.  If you can please view the question (with history and more test results) in its entirety at

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/Need-help-for-poor-appetite-cat/show/1789524

that would help me greatly.

Here is additional information since the original post:

I visited the vet again today (without kitty) and we are trying her on an aggressive anti-nausea and anti-upset stomach regimen for a few days (pills and injections, if we can manage it) to see if this will get her to eat again.

Failing that, the vet says the only other option for treatment might be to board her at the clinic for a few days.  They will give her fluids as well as stick a tube down her throat to find any other causes of why she is not eating (he mentioned esophagus problems, ulcers, and a few other things that might not be seen on an ultrasound).  Of course, that requires anesthesia and with her weak heart, old age, and low weight, he says he wants to avoid that if possible.

Can you suggest any other course of action?  I am already in your debt for your having read this far.
Wow...you and your cat have been through a lot.
I recently lost my first cat after 20 years of being friends and she had similar problems that you are describing.
A few things to note:
1. once we get her eating again, speak with your vet about y/d. This is a new food by Hill's that treats hyperthyroidism. I wont get into how it does that but trust me, it is amazing....no more pills or transdermal gels.
2. The chronic vomiting and anorexia could be due to a low grade but long term pancreatitis. This inflammatory condition is very tricky to diagnose in cats however a special test from Idexx (the name of the laboratory, they service all of north america) is available and it may shed some light on the subject.
Lastly, I am a little worried about cancer in this case. Your vet has done an amazing job assessing organ function and performing diagnostics like the ultrasound you mentioned, but with a cat of this many years and with normal kidney and liver enzymes, cancer is a real possibility. My cat coped with generalized abdominal lymphoma (GAL) for 2 1/2 years and even a board certified imaging specialist was unable to detect it at first by ultrasound. GAL results in the smallest little tumors within the abdominal cavity and over time cause gastrointestinal upset, sometimes diarrhea, and definitely weight loss. Treatment involved supportive management of the symptoms (cerenia is a great anti-vomiting medication you could try), dietary management to help with weight gain (she was eating a high calorie vet prescription diet), and initially prednisone and metronidazole to reduce the inflammation of the abdominal tumors.
Ask your vet if this condition is a possibility.
Good luck, I really feel for you and hope everything turns out better.
Dr. Cliff Redford
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet