Animal Health - General Forum

Can a vet please explain to me what a "mitral valve insuffiency" is?

I have heard it mentioned a time or two, that the designer dog that we have "may" have a tendency towards this condition, what can I do to make sure she is protected from this and is there a test that can be done to check to
see if our dog has any sign of this problem??? Thank you.
Hi, Loriannie,

First, thanks for visiting MedHelp.org.  Mitral valve problems are rarely congenital, but usually acquired.  If you are concerned about whether or not your dog suffers from this condition, an ultrasound would provide you with the answer.

Not just designer dogs, but any small breed dog with dental issues can develop mitral valve insufficiency.  Your best prevention is to maintain good dental health for your dog.

Best of luck to you and your dog!

I just want to clarify something with you...a cavachon is a Cavalier and Bichon cross, correct?
Yearly (and after about 5 or 6 years every 6 months) your veterinarian can simply listen to the dogs heart and tell a great deal.  If a murmur is heard (the main early symptom) then an ultrasound can tell SO much more.  

Like Dr. Dew said, blood infections typically coming from dental disease is a major cause of MI.  

If you are concerned (and I would not be overly so if he is fine now), then just be sure your veterinarian listens carefully each year!!  
Yes, a cavachon is a mix between a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and a Brichon Frise, and may I say............. adorable.
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
For people with Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD), the COVID-19 pandemic can be particularly challenging.