Animal Health - General Forum

Causes of frequent urination.

Hello.  I have a pembroke welsh corgi who has recently started drinking water more than usual and urinating sometimes 4 times during each visit outside, of which there are about 5 potty trips daily.  She can't seem to wait to get off the deck in some cases and urinates just outside the door.  There is only one step off the deck to get to the yard and she doesn't seem to have troubles managing it, she just can't seem to wait.  So far though, there have been no accidents inside the house.  She has also pooped on the deck twice this week, which isn't normal for her either.  In each case, we made sure she started in the yard and she ended up pooping on the deck after she finished in the yard.  We've had some issues with her in the past with digestive problems.  She seems to have a sensitive stomach and human food (even pieces of cheese for calcium and fresh vegetables as suggested by her previous owner) cause diarrhea leading to blood in the stool if left unchecked.  I don't know if one has anything to do with the other but we've only had her for around 9 months and it may be pertinent.  Please let me know what you think this might be.  Thank you for your help.
Frequent urination

Good afternoon.  I know how unsettling it is when your pet is acting out of the ordinary.

Polyuria, or increased urination, is seen in pets of all ages.  Polydipsia, or increased water consumption, is commonly noted as well.  Urine production and water consumption is controlled by the interaction between different systems within your pet’s body.  Increased water consumption is noted because the body is losing more fluid via urination so the body compensates for this loss.

Causes of increased urination and drinking:

1. Environmental (Heat and humidity)
2. Urinary tract infections
3. Urinary crystals or stones
4. Kidney infections
5. Kidney disease
6. Hyperadrenocorticism (Cushing’s Disease)
7. Electrolyte abnormalities (Sodium, Chloride, or Potassium)
8. Diabetes
9. Behavioral
10. Drug induced—if giving medications

There are more causes but this shows some of the common causes.

It is important that you schedule an appointment with your veterinarian.  At this appointment, make sure you bring in a urine sample to start.  Your veterinarian will do a complete physical examination and my recommend routine blood work, stool sample and radiographs to explore the reason for the increased drinking and urinating.

Good luck and I hope this helps.
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet