Animal Health - General Forum

Deafness due to noise?

Can loud noise cause deafness in a dog?  

Particulars:  Our Golden Retriever started playing with a Labradoodle (three-fourths poodle) about 4 years ago. They had a great time mock fighting and the LD was very vocal most of the time this was going on...and he has a very loud bark.

The Golden suffered a stroke in August of 2008 and it took considerable effort to get him back on his feet.  The stroke seems to have been a spinal stroke, and I assume is not related to the deafness.  In fact the onset of near total deafness came on very suddenly about two months ago, well over 6 months since the Golden was last exposed to loud barking during play.

I'm not looking to "blame" the other dog, just wondered if it is common for a dog, like a human, to suffer hearing loss due to exposure to loud noise.

We have not discussed the deafness with his vet as we think the end for the dog is coming up fast. He will be 12 years old in October if he lives that long.  In addition to his deafness his stroke related paralysis problems are returning.  He can still get up and walk short distances (say 1000 feet on mostly level ground) and do his toilet activities without falling down, but he seems to be back-sliding to the point of not being able to walk as was the case for a couple of weeks after the stroke.  FYI, we used swimming therapy to help him regain the use of his rear legs.  Perhaps we need to get him back in the water..but as said he can still walk and we make sure he walks every day, morning and evening.  Not sure where the trade-off is on walking helping and too much walking doing damage.

Seems I expanded this post to two items: deafness and paralysis.  I welcome input/experience on either or both.

Thanks,
Jerry

Hi Jerry:  

I too have a geriatric dog and we give him special care every day because he has earned it.  I really appreciate your efforts for the old guy and clearly you understand the bond we have with our dogs - especially when we've had them 12 years.  

I do not think the exposure to loud barking caused the deafness.  Many older dogs have hearing loss.  In fact I think it helps keep older dogs "young" when they have a younger more playful dog to keep them active.  

As for the progression on paralysis, I think you are probably seeing the slow aging and progression of his original central nervous system problem.  We don't know to what extent his spinal cord was damaged, but it is usually the case that these don't get much better and progress to a point of immobility.  (again I'm dealing with the same problem).  

1000 feet is pretty good, and if you can help him with physical therapy (I'm a big believer in PT for animals) then please do all you can.  If you believe he would benefit from a cart, then there are many good ones available on the net.  Just give them good measurements and they custom make and mail to you.  

Ask your veterinarian about cortico-steroids because they can help and we don't have to worry too much about the long term effects as he is in his senior years.  It does not sound to me like walking him will in any way hurt him or cause the condition to progress.  

It it a special person that cares for a senior dog with serious medical problems.  Thanks for that.  

Hope this helps a bit.  
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet