Animal Health - General Forum

Dog with seizure, pos. for lyme disease

My 14 year old Lab/chow/shep mix had a seizure the other night. We took her to the vets, she had a high fever, but no other obvious abnormalities. They started her on phenobarbital for seizures and said they think she has a brain tumor. She has no other symptoms of a brain tumor. She only had 2  known seizures, and they occurred when her fever was high. I went yesterday and asked them if they thought it could be lyme disease and they said no but they would check her if I wanted them to. They tested her and she turned out to be positive for lyme disease. Lyme disease makes more sense...my worry is shes on the pheno still and not quite adjusted and can't walk yet. How long does it take for dogs to get adjusted? How do they know if its the pheno or antibiotics for lyme thats really helping?
Lyme disease can cause neurological disorders, and epilepsy is a neurological disorder.  The fact that your dog had a fever when she had the seizure leads us to believe that the seizure had an infectious cause.  However, seizures themselves (if grand mal) can cause a dogs temperature to become elevated.  Brain tumors can disrupt normal brain activity and therefore cause seizures.  

The problem is, if the Lyme disease is in the chronic stage it is very difficult to eliminate. And, if the Lyme disease is the cause of the seizures than they may continue as long as the Lyme disease is not eliminated,  and your dog may need phenobarbitol to control the seizures during this time period.  It could be a vicious cycle.  

If the seizures are caused by a brain tumor and not Lyme disease than she may need the phenobarbitol to control them.  In other words she may need phenobarbitol regardless.  Your dog should probably continue with both the doxycycline and phenobarbitol for the one month course of treatment of the Lymes.  If your dog is really "drunk" right now from the phenobarbitol than the dose should be reduced.  There must be a balance, i.e.: decreased side effects of phenobarbitol while still being effective to control the seizures.  This may take a bit of patience because the dose may have to be adjusted several times before the balance is achieved.  After the course of doxycycline discuss with your veterinarian what is best for your dog.  
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet