Animal Health - General Forum

Feline pancreatitis

My cat has been in the vet hospital for 6 days and was told that she had pancreatitis. her lipase was 2800. She still would not eat or drink. Finally, we told our vet we wanted to take her home. She is home now 4 days and is going outside with our other cats, sleeping well and meowing like always, just we don't see her eat or drink. I am just so confused as to what to do next. Vet just called me and told me her thyroid test was fine. Can you tell me what I should do next?
Since she is acting normally, she may be getting some food elsewhere.  

If your veterinarian has not done so already request an appetite stimulant such as Periactin or Mirtazipine to give to her until you see her eating normally.  You may have to try to force feed her.  Try giving human baby food meats, or a variety of canned cat foods, or any foods that she may like.  

You could also give your cat over the counter, Pepcid at 1/4 the human dose.  If she is not drinking sub cutaneous fluid therapy may be necessary.

If she is doing everything normally except for eating,  the pancreatitis may have resolved.  To be sure that the pancreatitis has resolved,  you would need to have her blood re-tested.  
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet