Aa
A
A
A
Close
Animal Health - General Forum
This expert forum is not accepting new questions. Please post your question in one of our medical support communities.

Followup2 post on SCC

This is on a 10 year old cat, scc of a nare, prestage or stage 1.

You advised getting a MRI or CT scan prior to surgery as it would tell if the tumor could be removed successfully;by what margins.

I cannot afford such a scan.
This cat has has serous nasal discharge with sneezing for at least 6-7 years.
Tests negative for calci, herpes and chlamydia; negative for HIV and the other killer virus.

X-rays taken of the skull prior to dental cleaning showing some calcification; question whether there is a comcomitant cancerous process in the nasal passages or elsewhere. The cat's appetite is poor in part due to the nasal discharge; he suffers from constipation, mostly due to hair he ingests, now under control. Despite the dental cleaning; almost all teeth gone there is a decay smell to his breath.

Questions:

Are there any other clinical signs or blood tests that might give an indication if he has cancer elsewhere, and/or lymphoma? If the 7 years of sneezing is caused by cancer
I would think he'd be dead by now? There is no evidence of tumors in the mouth and xrays did not show any obvious signs of tumor. Below the line --- is a quote from the pathologists report for your information.

Also important question, the vet wants to go ahead with nare surgery which will remove a substancial part, if not all of his nose. What are the chances that surgery without a CT scan will act to spread the cancer and what are the benefits/costs of doing surgery on this cat without a CT scan?

---
Sections of small punch biopsies reveal a focal proliferative lesion consisting of islands and finger like projections
of pleomorphic squamous epithelial cells within the superificial epithelium extending into the deeper dermis. There is a significant scirrhous/desmoplastic response to the epithelial cells as they infiltrate into adjacent dermal tissue.
There is a moderate suppurative inflammatory infiltrate associtated with the invasive epithelial cells.

1 Responses
234713 tn?1283526659
MEDICAL PROFESSIONAL
I think that if surgery could be performed radically enough to include all of the cancer than there might be a benefit to surgery, however getting clean margins sounds impossible.  A partial surgery may help your cat in a mechanical way to breath better.

There are few cancers that are that slow growing, i.e.: 7 years, but what could have begun as chronic inflammation could have evolved into SCC.

Please decide if you would like to try an integrative therapy for your cat, which could include a sparing surgery and the use of holistic or standard chemotherapy agents.  The holistic chemotherapy agents I recommend in some cases for SCC are: Polymva  (www.polymva.com),  Neoplasene (a blood root extract), Hoxsey Formula, Stasis Breaker, Max Formula and Wei Qi Booster (the last three are available at Jing Tang Herbals, but you will need a prescription from your veterinarian).
Didn't find the answer you were looking for?
Ask a question
Popular Resources
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet
A list of national and international resources and hotlines to help connect you to needed health and medical services.
Here’s how your baby’s growing in your body each week.
These common ADD/ADHD myths could already be hurting your child