Animal Health - General Forum

Head wound

My cat has been acting very sad and quiet.... I noticed he had a patch of hair on hos head that was hard so I tried to see if there was some sort of cut, in the process this spot starting oozing  a thick milky substance, no blood though. I am asumming iy was puss, there is also a read lump now, howeveer i am still unable to see  anything. The spot on his head seems to be sensitive and tender to him!  What could this possibly be and should it be vet checked?  tHANX
Hi Sid
I am sorry to hear about your cat and glad to help.

Yes your cat should see your veterinarian. This may be a cat abscess.

Abscesses are very common in cats and require drainage and antibiotics to heal.

Cat abscesses generally ooze and are painful, soft swellings as you described.
Intact male cats in particular,tend to fight and the result is often an abscess.

Once treated this will heal and your cat will be fine.  Neutering male cats helps to reduce the urge to fight and generally reduces the incidence of injuries like an abscess.

If I can help further please feel free to call our veterinary office directly.

I hope this is helpful.

Best Wishes
Dr Carol Osborne, DVM
Members of our Pet Communities share their Halloween pet photos.
Has your pet ever swallowed your prescription medicine? Vet tech Thomas Dock explores the top 10 meds that harm pets and what you can do to prevent a tragedy from happening.
Like to travel but hate to leave your pooch at home? Dr. Carol Osborne talks tips on how (and where!) to take a trip with your pampered pet